The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Whats Your Job??

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
my hubby took early retirement/voluntary redundancy from a stressfull job as a highly paid engineering troubleshooter.we were bored sitting around doing nothing so started out by selling stuff on car boot sales.we then progressed to buying and selling new stuff. now we import,wholesale, and retail.we serve customers all day and most nights we are doing paperwork,vat returns etc but the good side is i can shop to my hearts content.for example tomorrow im off to a trade show in harrogate yorkshire where wholesalers and importers from all over come to sell their goods.if you like shopping youll love this!lots of goodies to see,and lots of nice things to spend money on.later this year were off to dortmund in germany on a buying trip.this year theres lots of new exhibitors including a favourite of wild whippies,pilgrim jewellery.we meet all kinds of folk in our job,from witches to new age travellers to medieval reenactment combatants.we sell everything from swords to tarot cards,from gorgeous gemstone jewellery to aromatherapy products.i have the best job in the world,im chief buyer! :- " :D

kris said:
my hubby took early retirement/voluntary redundancy from a stressfull job as a highly paid engineering troubleshooter.we were bored sitting around doing nothing so started out by selling stuff on car boot sales.we then progressed to buying and selling new stuff. now we import,wholesale, and retail.we serve customers all day and most nights we are doing paperwork,vat returns etc but the good side is i can shop to my hearts content.for example tomorrow im off to a trade show in harrogate yorkshire where wholesalers and importers from all over come to sell their goods.if you like shopping youll love this!lots of goodies to see,and lots of nice things to spend money on.later this year were off to dortmund in germany on a buying trip.this year theres lots of new exhibitors including a favourite of wild whippies,pilgrim jewellery.we meet all kinds of folk in our job,from witches to new age travellers to medieval reenactment combatants.we sell everything from swords to tarot cards,from gorgeous gemstone jewellery to aromatherapy products.i have the best job in the world,im chief buyer! :- "  :D
Cor, lucky you Chris!!!!!!! :D I see where Jac gets the buying bug from now..Crufts Jacqueline!!!!!!!!!!

i offered her a job once,she said we couldnt afford her! (w00t)

Ive been 'Jill' of all trades, master of none !!!

I started out in a bakery ( who ate all the pies!!!) , then office work in a glass engravers, then travelled and worked around the world, my favouirite being a summer camp in America, then worked at a sea life rescue centre, that was great, apart from the time I slipped on the edge of the seal pool and ended up swimming with them !!!!! From there, I ended up getting into social work, and worked in a school for children with emotional and behavioural difficulties until one of the kids broke my nose, which made me 're-think'.

I then had an invite from best mates to go and help them run their small hotel in a remote part of the scottish highlands - how could I refuse !!!

Whilst there I learned all the jobs, and eventually became manager, and chef.

Then in a move to get my foot on the property ladder I moved to a small town, and have worked as head chef at a residential home, until I find something Id really like to do!!!! :thumbsup:

Oh forgot to say I made ice cream one summer, and worked at a garage pumping petrol !!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
kris said:
my hubby took early retirement/voluntary redundancy from a stressfull job as a highly paid engineering troubleshooter.we were bored sitting around doing nothing so started out by selling stuff on car boot sales.we then progressed to buying and selling new stuff. now we import,wholesale, and retail.we serve customers all day and most nights we are doing paperwork,vat returns etc but the good side is i can shop to my hearts content.for example tomorrow im off to a trade show in harrogate yorkshire where wholesalers and importers from all over come to sell their goods.if you like shopping youll love this!lots of goodies to see,and lots of nice things to spend money on.later this year were off to dortmund in germany on a buying trip.this year theres lots of new exhibitors including a favourite of wild whippies,pilgrim jewellery.we meet all kinds of folk in our job,from witches to new age travellers to medieval reenactment combatants.we sell everything from swords to tarot cards,from gorgeous gemstone jewellery to aromatherapy products.i have the best job in the world,im chief buyer! :- "  :D
My dream job, i went to westminster dog show in NEW YORK spent 1 hour at the show, the remaining 4 days shopping !!!!!!!!!!

hello all

i have a little shop selling lovely items for homes, gardens and children - we are just in the process of confirming the details on what will hopefully be the 2nd shop ( more of an extension as in the same building!)

This is where i have put the pictures of our new pup (hopefully)

we now get more people coming in to see latest pics or suggest names than we do buying customers!!!

Nearly our whole village is waiting to meet our girl!

tracyx

I have my own dog grooming business, have had it for 11 years. I only work 2 days a week now with having to small kids and the Whippets. And I love it well most of the time.

I work in a factory making plates and things .I run a machine that puts glaze onto plates and small bowls.Officially my job is machine minder. Another name for dogsbody Iwork with 7 men (CHILDREN!!) I keep teling them they don't pay me enough to work in a nursery thats what the men are like nursery children .It is very boring walking up and down a machine all day

I love my job :) in fact at the moment I would rather work than go to a dog show or on holiday. How sad is that? No two days are the same. No two hours are the same. It is always a challenge. It can be stressful but quite fulfilling.

I work for the contractors who supply the gaolers for Thames Valley Police as the Operations Manager.

therpan said:
I have my own dog grooming business, have had it for 11 years. I only work 2 days a week now with having to small kids and the Whippets. And I love it well most of the time.
Nice one Therpan .... forgot to add Im a Petsitter too(in spare time) :- " for people on their holls, Cats, and smaller animals mainly but dogs occasionally too. :thumbsup:

Im a Branch Manager for a Large Security company, i manage 3.5 million pounds worth of business and manage 227 staff, to which i love everyone so very much, :huggles: except when they go off sick (sunny weather, monday! after a few to many beers, new books come out :- " pay day) the hassle and costs it causes :b

No wonder im grey before my time :D

~Dave~ said:
Im a Branch Manager for a Large Security company, i manage 3.5 million pounds worth of business and manage 227 staff, to which i love everyone so very much,  :huggles: except when they go off sick (sunny weather, monday! after a few to many beers, new books come out :- " pay day) the hassle and costs it causes  :b
No wonder im grey before my time  :D

new books come out........................ :- " :- " (w00t)

Im a Branch Manager for a Large Security company, i manage 3.5 million pounds worth of business and manage 227 staff, to which i love everyone so very much, :huggles: except when they go off sick (sunny weather, monday! after a few to many beers, new books come out :- " pay day) the hassle and costs it causes :b

We suffer from the friday night/Saturday Morning Syndrome as well :thumbsup:

Plus 'my car wont work' and my dog/cat/ grandmother needs to see the vet :D

Great isnt it!!!!!!!!!

i work in a supermarket on the delicatessen,i've been offered to be second in charge,but i'm still thinking about it.

I run a gift business. It comprises a shop, a trade stand at indoor events, eg Crufts and Discover Dogs on the dog side, and we also supply mail order. We have a section of the shop specially dedicated to dog and horse gifts, and we are one of the very few shops in town who allow people to bring in their dogs. People express surprise at this but we have yet to have a dog walk round eating a McDonalds leaving greasy finger marks all over the place.

Sometimes Sparky comes to the shop which means death to all the pink bunny rabbits in the baby section.

Jenny

ps If anyone is looking for a job we have a vacancy at the moment. Perks include Our Dogs and Dog World kept under the counter along with current whippet book on the go (Bo Bengston this week), four days work at Crufts and we are very close to the cake shop.

I work in an electonics factory testing ,debugging and repairing circuit boards -_-

It is pretty boring and I work 12 hour shifts but the good thing is I only work 3 days except once a month I've go to work on a Saturday (w00t)

Malcs job is a load of SH%*E literally (w00t) He works for Scottish water in the sewarage department :x Glad he doesn't bring his work home :x :x

I am a horse riding instructor :) i only freelance now teaching people on their own horse's as the country has gone safety mad (w00t) the insurance to offer lesson's on your own horse's is not realistic anymore even sadley many riding school's are closing, where will the kid's learn then? :oops: sorry not for this thread!!

I also have 7 horse's in my care, 4 dogs (2 of which are puppies) 2 lovely girls but yep you guessed it, that lot is easy it's the OH that take's all the hard work (w00t) (w00t)

I used to be quite ambitious until we got Whippets :b now I do as little as possible :oops:

I started as an apprentice plumber :unsure: left that to start a Welding apprenticeship with B.P, which was great as they had exchange programs with other Petrochemical plants all over the world :thumbsup: so every year for 4 years I had a 3 month tour of the world :)

I worked there for 7 years then took voluntary redundancy just as we bought our first house :wacko:

Then I started working for the Arrows F1 team :thumbsup: they were the rubbish ones who were always at the back :D and in their final years were the Orange Arrows F1 team.

When they went bust I did contract work for a lot of the other teams and quite a lot of aerospace work :)

Then we got our first Whippet :unsure: and I don't think I've done a full weeks work since :lol:

I do bits and pieces of everything now :unsure: a bit of plumbing, making jewellery, driving work :unsure: and now and again when I'm feeling skint I'll go back to welding most recently on the new Wembley stadium :D

Cheers

Steve

Nothing much has changed since I posted on the thread Helen mentioned, just over a year ago. Still waiting for OH to qualify as a paramedic (takes a while) so still working full time, as a school accounts manager, at a university .

Still dreaming about going parttime or trying something completely different.

Just a dreamer me.

:rolleyes:

I'm still stuck in the same job just waiting for the chance to go forward into another company :rant:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back