The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Who's Had Their Bitch Spayed

AnnSa

The one and Only ....
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Sada is in season and she has had a personality transplant :eek:

On the beach tonight she was really nasty towards two of her playmates,

i really thought she was going to bite them. And indoors she would be in

my pocket if she could, she is clingy but its pitiful at the moment. She's

so miserable :(

I don't know how far into her season she is there isn't much swelling, but

she has been bleeding lightly since Saturday. The dogs she went for

tonight were males, one of five months and one at two years.

They did sniff her but weren't trying to do anything to her.

I really don't want her like this every six months but saying that i have

seen as many reasons not to spay her as reason why i should :wacko:

And one of the things I'm worried about is the after care if i do decide

to get her spayed............what am i going to do to keep her and K

from play flighting and stuff........they are so boisterous together.

vets usually won spey til 3 mths after a season ann, you will now have 3 weeks of this :eek: ill ring you with howards neutering number, the lady is lovely :thumbsup:

we had pepa done last year and she was fine ....

Pheobe is booked in for tuesday next week duing half term so I can be here for her ...

they too are very bostross but I am going to have to try and keep them quite

we have made this dissition becaouse we are not going to breed off of them and I am scared of fantom pregnesess (my old dog Lucie had them and its not nice for them)and was alot better when we had her done.

ive always had to have mine speyed due to womb infections (carnt spell the proper name of it) my first bitch was 10 years old second bitch was 7 years old,both speyings where hard due to their ages and both had complications after,so with my two whippet bitches we decided to have them done on the same day and then it was easier to keep them from bugging each other,all went well but i found phoebe was far too young mentally and physically she was 6 months old and would strongly advise anyone not to have it done until they have had a season.

millie had just had a season at the time and we had to wait 8 weeks after she had finished before they would spey her,thats when the hormones are back to normal.

we also had no intentions of breeding any of my girl.

good luck in what ever you decide :luck: :huggles:

AnnSa said:
Sada is in season and she has had a personality transplant  :eek: On the beach tonight she was really nasty towards two of her playmates,

i really thought she was going to bite them. And indoors she would be in

my pocket if she could, she is clingy but its pitiful at the moment. She's

so miserable  :(

I don't know how far into her season she is  there isn't much swelling, but

she has been bleeding lightly since Saturday. The dogs she went for

tonight were males, one of five months and one at two years.

They did sniff her but weren't trying to do anything to her.

I really don't want her like this every six months but saying that i have

seen as many reasons not to spay her as reason why i should  :wacko:

And one of the things I'm worried about is the after care if i do decide

to get her spayed............what am i going to do to keep her and K

from play flighting and stuff........they are so boisterous together.

Hi,

I have had two of my dogs speyed.My Whippet ,who sadly. had to be pts a few years ago,and Lady,our newly adopted Greyhound.She was speyed two weeks ago,and is a fit as a flea!!I had no problems with either of them.Just a bit of gentle lead walking for a couple of weeks.then they are as good as new.

Amandax

3 of my girls speyed, only 1 entire and I wish she was speyed because after each season i'm so worried about a pyo - she's too old now. I dont mind the mess but it does unsettle her and poor Supe is demented....She's about to come into season again any day

Rae said:
3 of my girls speyed, only 1 entire and I wish she was speyed because after each season i'm so worried about a pyo - she's too old now.  I dont mind the mess but it does unsettle her and poor Supe is demented....She's about to come into season again any day

poor you and your bitch,its not easy is it when they get older,its very worrying with each and every season :( :huggles:

my old girls suffered with phantoms every season and the vet said bitches that had the phantoms where more likely to delevop a pyo in later life and he was right with my two oldys :(

Sada is just 16 mths. she had a season at 9 mths but she wasn't

like this but i do think she had a phantom after it.

She was doing some stuff that made me post about her on here

and the timing all pointed to a phantom.

I would never breed from her, she is a bit nervy and i wouldn't

want to pass that trait on to any pups.

And as her seasons look like they are going to make her miserable

i think spaying is looking like a good option.

I just hate the thought of putting her through the operation.

I will never forget the state of my Labrador when my dad

carried her into my house after she was spayed :(

millie and phoebe was totally different when they came home ...millie wanted to raid the cupboards she was so hungry and phoebe been younger i think wouldnt eat until the next day and was not happy at all for about 3 days :( but within a week they was both desperate to to have a run.

you should have seen the state i was in when they went in for the op :sweating: i go to pieces almost when i have to leave any of them at the vets no matter what the reason :b

My two female bitches are unspayed Peggy aged 61/2 and Bow 3 in may(she had her first season at 15mths)

I would like to put Bow into pup in the future thats why shes unspeyed

Im in two mind of speying my bitches ...,i find that both are pretty clean dueing their seasons and it nice to have them both in season at the same time,then they are like lesbians

My Lotte was spayed when she was 11 months old. I must admit it took sometime for the wound to heal, as we were on a long holiday in Orkney and she kept escaping on to the beach and getting it wet, our fault entirely. But she healed, and it was all soon forgotten. I think sometimes we extrapolate our feelings about all these procedures on to our dogs, and it doesn't help them. If you decide to go ahead with the procedure, be positive for her sake, treat her as if nothing sad or bad has happened. She'll pick up on your positivity and will feel happier. Having said that, I do understand your position. We are thinking about neutering the lovely Bramble, and everytime we look at him we think: poor sausage, completely oblivious about what is about to happen to him! The good thing is: he is totally oblivious!

Thanks Lotte that makes sense :thumbsup:

I think im in season myself...........i get a bit tearful when i just

think about having her operated on :(

A big decision either way,only talking from my dads experiences so:

He was always into working dogs mainly spaniels,had some pups( bitches) that turned into really top quality workers,would of been excellent stock for breeding from,to keep the lines going,but due to gettin them spayed on vets/other peoples advice regreted it after. :oops:

As for the unspayed bitches they never had any troubles and lived long healthy lives

Last edited by a moderator:
It's natural for her to show agression to your males whilst at the begining of her season, this time next week she might be the worlds biggest hussy!

Not sure how old your girl is but for some the first season can knock them for six as it were and they can have a hard time of it. My own experiences being the older they are before they break into season the more they seem to suffer hormonally. I don't have any of my bitches spayed for my own reasons and I don't intend to start a pro V anti spaying thread but I do feel that subsequent seasons get easier so you may wish to wait till her next season before making a decision.

Chin up, 3 weeks soon passes and things will be back to normal. :huggles:

Having just been through a VERY traumatic time with our rescue girl, Lily (age 14) who had pyometra diagnosed, with suppurating cysts on her ovaries as well, when she went to have her anal glands done almost 2 weeks ago and then had an emergency hysterectomy, I wouldn't EVER keep an entire bitch unless I was going to breed from her and then she'd be 'done' when breeding was finished. It was touch and go for a few days and we were so afraid we'd lose her - a totally unnecessary problem that would not have occurred if she'd been spayed. :angry:

Callie is being done as soon as the vet says it is the right time. Polly and Twiggy have been done when younger.

I don't mind what anyone thinks - for us it is the right thing. We'd never want to put another dog through what Lily suffered , or go through the worry ourselves especially as it can be prevented.

I am planning to have my girls speyed, Ann, when they are old enough. At the moment Jinny is 10 months and no sign of a season yet and Ella is only 7 months so I have plenty of time before they are done :thumbsup:

As I don't wish to breed from them, I think it is kinder for their welfare. I can't bear the thought of condemning them to 3 weeks incarceration every 6 months just because they are in season :(

I had to have my rescue collie speyed as part of the rules of adoption and I was amazed how small the incision was and how quickly and easily she recovered :D She was very active and despite my best attempts to keep her calm, she ran around with the GSDs as usual with no ill effects :thumbsup:

Hope Sada feels happier very soon, it's horrid when they're sad :huggles:

Our Angel is just coming into season for the first time she has been bleeding for a few days but no swelling as yet. Her granny Tegan is due in season any day but you can usually tell with her a few days beforehand as she starts getting aggressive with the boys by the time she has been in season for 10 days she turned into a little hussey and its the boys you have to watch as they argue over her .

Pops & Chrissy were prone to phantom pregnancies,but since i've started to give them Prevphan,the problem has been solved :thumbsup:

It's a homeopathic remedy available from Canine natural cures.You give them one tablet a week for 9 weeks from the 12th day of their season :thumbsup:

If anyone's interested,their number is 0845 1279903

pollyanna said:
Having just been through a VERY traumatic time with our rescue girl, Lily (age 14) who had pyometra diagnosed, with suppurating cysts on her ovaries as well,  when she went to have her anal glands done almost 2 weeks ago and then had an emergency hysterectomy,  I wouldn't EVER keep an entire bitch unless I was going to breed from her and then she'd be 'done' when breeding was finished. It was touch and go for a few days and we were so afraid we'd lose her - a totally unnecessary problem that would not have occurred if she'd been spayed. :angry:
Callie is being done as soon as the vet says it is the right time. Polly and Twiggy have been done when younger.

I don't mind what anyone thinks - for us it is the right thing.  We'd never want to put another dog through what Lily suffered , or go through the worry ourselves especially as it can be prevented.

I totally agree with you Janet. :thumbsup: I worked for a vet years ago and witnessed many bitches needing emergency ops due to pyometra - or worse still some that died. I recall a lovely Dobermann :wub: that had been an inpatient for a while after having her leg pinned/plated due to an RTA, and then months later she died due to an undetected pyo. We were all so sad. :( Also I never forgot a little Yorkie's with pyo - her womb filled a washing up bowl. :eek: Luckily she recovered well.

My two girls were spayed (they had both had a season first) and were fine. You just need to be sensible and keep them very quiet. I was advised to keep them on the lead until the stitches had been removed (about 10 days) and then gentle exercise for about another week or so.

Good luck with whatever your decision. :luck:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back