The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
jok said:
Can we have pic's / diagram's of not so good :thumbsup:
I have one! Here are two of my dogs, one in front is the same dog as I posted earlier the one in the backgrounds head has been described as 'more traditional' but in my mind he has too much stop and looks a little 'snipey' and feminine (of course I love him dearly!)

park026.jpg

Heres Harrys, i can only quote from one of critiques, 'it was good to see and feel a good underjaw'

2007_0706harryandpolly0019.JPG

:wub: :wub: head.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jo - i'd agree with what you said :thumbsup:

Here's a few of my racers heads :- " :wub:

boys.jpg

Boxingday230.jpg

hers her on the move :*

Picture045.jpg

and my beautiful Connie ....

Picture473a.jpg

Here is my Poppy, her ear set isn't right and her ears are much too thick and can stand up at times. Her head is also a bit too broad.

If you let weak under jaws creep into the breed, the next thing would be the overshot bite small teeth and the jaw would start to narrow. We are not really a head breed as such but when judging it is the first thing you look at.

its great to see some lovely heads, and for someone like me is new to showing this thread is really intresting :D

i was wondering what a good top-line looked liked as there are a few different top-lines around, also any pic's would be lovely :D

I have just worked out how to post pics.

This is my pretty Lexy

100_0628.jpg

melanie said:
its great to see some lovely heads, and for someone like me is new to showing this thread is really intresting :D   i was wondering what a good top-line looked liked as there are a few different top-lines around, also any pic's would be lovely :D

I was wondering about toplines too. As a newcomer to Whippets it appears to me to be one of the main differences between the American and English whippet.

I am so pleased this thread has been revived.

Pauline

It has been lovely seeing so many different heads and well done to those who felt able to put pictures on of their much loved dogs whose heads were maybe not their fortune. Its hard to comment on a picture in some cases without offending so thanks again to those who posted pictures.

In answer to the question about toplines, what do you see as being the difference between American and English toplines?

Nicky

I think that top lines vary in both English and American whippets, I think that the Americans put more emphasis in having a lovely S shaped underline. The top line and underline play a big part in making a very good one extra special.

Yes Patsy you are right top lines do differ within countries.

Nicky

patsy said:
I think that top lines vary in both English and American whippets, I think that the Americans put more emphasis in having a lovely S shaped underline. The top line and underline play a big part in making a very good one extra special.
Interesting to hear about the underline, too. This is all very new to me, which is why I am enjoying this thread. Although I have only seen photographs, and I am sure that you get variations of topline in both countries, the American whippets look to me to have more level toplines in general. Shoot me down in flames if you wish - but that how they appear to me. It may be the way they are shown too.

Pauline

I think that we have our fair share of level toplines. As for the underline I think that it is one of the things that makes a Whippet a Whippet, different say to a Greyhound, when you look across the ring you know you are looking at a Whippet.

Nicky

Hi

Another voice from "across the pond". I've been following this topic with great interest as it has been fascinating.

Talking about heads in the USA vs England. I think we are having some serious problems with heads here recently. I am seeing more and more longer and what I call "snipy" muzzles. Not necessarily with a lack of underjaw- just not enough fullness to the muzzle. Of course a Whippet is in no way heavy headed, but I think we've carried it a bit too far. And backskulls are suffering somewhat as well. It certainly is true that a Whippet is not a head breed, but judges are influenced by first impressions and if the head is not attractive some will look no further. That lovely soft eye and endearing expression is surely a "hallmark" of the breed- no matter where in the world you live. A lovely head is a lovely head in England or the USA.

The big thing in the head department that is different is in eye color. Most Americans dislike light eyes. ( and, sad to say, dilute colors). I have a male that I imported from the UK several years ago. He is a silver fawn and yes, he has the dreaded lighter eye color. Strange thing though- when I use him carefully he has sired the most incredible pigment and VERY dark eyes. He even accidentally bred a dilute bitch who has a not so dark eye and the puppies all had quite dark eyes. Kind of proves that what you see isn't always what you get.

I keep trying to tell people that we have enough problems with structure and type without worrying ourselves silly with eye color. ( Not to mention health problems that are potentially lethal) Most people won't hear it.

It is so great to hear the sharing of opinions that are going on in this forum. One of the most serious problems in the entire dog fancy today ( in my humble opinion anyway) is that so many people don't take the time to study and learn. It's so much easier to just follow the fashion and breed to the top winning dog. And, of course, get an entire litter of top show prospects that are sold to "new fanciers" who just continue to follow the leader. Since this is my current " hot button" I won't expound on that theory- at least not in my first post to this forum. <grin>

Carol

www.geocites.com/windsong_whippets

windsongwhippets said:
have a male that I imported from the UK several years ago.  He is a silver fawn and yes, he has the dreaded lighter eye color.  Strange thing though- when I use him carefully he has sired the most incredible pigment and VERY dark eyes.  He even accidentally bred a dilute bitch  who has a not so dark eye and the puppies all had quite dark eyes. Kind of proves that what you see isn't always what you get.
www.geocites.com/windsong_whippets

Eye colour inheritance is complicated. I always assumed that the dark eye is dominant, so I was also surprised to see 2 dogs producing eyes darker than eaither of them. However when I looked carefully the bitch (also blue dilute) had 2 tone eye; light brown with black rim, the dog had eyes somewhat reddish brown, their pups had eyes almost black. My guess is that the dark colour was there in the rim of the iris. And of-course, there are many recessive traits that you may not see for many generations back, but if you mate your bitch to a dog carrying the same recessive gene you get a surprise :)

My dilute bitch has the darkest eyes of my five. The darkest girl I have here has the lightest eyes! They are not as light as some I have seen and may appear lighter as she is so dark.

I am interested in hearing about fronts, which side of the pond has the best and examples of good and bad.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back