The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Ms Molly said:
Yes Patsy got your email. Now don't beat yourself up about the PC, your doing fine. I too am having trouble in my case with receiving emails. I watch them download, then go to my inbox and nothing is there??? So frustrating!!! I guess somehow the server is filtering emails but nobody can give me a reason??

So if you have sent me a reply please send it to my office. taejaan@bigpond.net.au

Looking forward to Ethans pics Nicky.

Hope you ladies can get help to do the new venture. Seems to me it will be the blind leading the blinder!!! lol

have a good day

Molly

Did reply Molly so will try again with the other email.

Dawn and Juley are not blind Molly, just Nicky and I (w00t)

good luck in the venture!!! i think this is something the british whippet scene really needs, looks like it will also pull together all the disciplines too in a united front , well done all attempting this mammoth task :thumbsup:

I was in fact referring to you Patsy and Nicky!!!!I have no doubt both Dawn and Juley will know what they are doing!

M

anniewhippet said:
dawn said:
patsy said:
The wonderful ewhippetzinehas lots more pictures up including our whippet club championship show, pictures of all the class winners and the results.
Photos by Chelynnah

:cheers: Wendy, keep up the excellent work :thumbsup: Have to agree a lovely site, anyone here fancy doing the same?

Thanks Anne. It's Nick that does most of the photography, I just do the editing. I'll be sending them some of the BIS photos from NWA as soon as I can get them edited. They are very ORANGE!

Wendy

Last edited by a moderator:
chelynnah said:
anniewhippet said:
dawn said:
patsy said:
The wonderful ewhippetzinehas lots more pictures up including our whippet club championship show, pictures of all the class winners and the results.
Photos by Chelynnah

:cheers: Wendy, keep up the excellent work :thumbsup: Have to agree a lovely site, anyone here fancy doing the same?

Thanks Anne. It's Nick that does most of the photography, I just do the editing. I'll be sending them some of the BIS photos from NWA as soon as I can get them edited. They are very ORANGE!

Wendy

The orange must be the lighting in the hall, sometimes the same at the Midland Whippet club, I had some lovely ones of Jason taken there and they were really orange.

patsy said:
chelynnah said:
anniewhippet said:
dawn said:
patsy said:
Photos by Chelynnah

Wendy

The orange must be the lighting in the hall, sometimes the same at the Midland Whippet club, I had some lovely ones of Jason taken there and they were really orange.

Did you indeed! 8)

Nicky

Very

UKUSA said:
patsy said:
chelynnah said:
anniewhippet said:
dawn said:
patsy said:
Photos by Chelynnah

Wendy

Did you indeed! 8)

Nicky

Indeed very orange

New info about the proposed Whippet Mag on a separate thread. J and D

Hi Juley and Dawn,Ive just been and had a look on the the other thread and I think it sounds fantastic, if there is anything that I can do to help just ask. This thread started off about the differences between the British and American Whippets and what better way to to help illustrate that. The very best of luck.

Nicky

P.S

Patsy says ,how about .ONLINE WHIPPETS UK.

UKUSA said:
Hi Juley and Dawn,Ive just been and had a look on the the other thread and I think it sounds fantastic, if there is anything that I can do to help just ask. This thread started off about the differences between the British and American Whippets and what better way to to help illustrate that. The very best of luck.Nicky

P.S

Hi Nicky

As you started this thread how about you condence what has been said about the differences between Uk and American whippets into an article for the magazine :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

dawn said:
UKUSA said:
Hi Juley and Dawn,Ive just been and had a look on the the other thread and I think it sounds fantastic, if there is anything that I can do to help just ask. This thread started off about the differences between the British and American Whippets and what better way to to help illustrate that. The very best of luck.Nicky

P.S

Hi Nicky

As you started this thread how about you condence what has been said about the differences between Uk and American whippets into an article for the magazine :thumbsup:

Now theres a challenge Nicky, I think you will be burning the midnight oil with this one :blink: but look forward to reading it :thumbsup: off to the other thread now :D

dawn said:
UKUSA said:

P.S

Hi Nicky

Hi Dawn,

Right..........well.............ok then Ill give it a go...............how long have I got?

Nicky

UKUSA said:
dawn said:
UKUSA said:

P.S

Hi Nicky

Hi Dawn,

Right..........well.............ok then Ill give it a go...............how long have I got?

Nicky

Hi Nicky

How long would you like?? :D

patsy said:
chelynnah said:
anniewhippet said:
dawn said:
patsy said:
Photos by Chelynnah

Wendy

Yeah it is down to the sodium vapour lighting :( But I have been able to correct a lot of it, but it's taking me time. Sounds stupid, but I can only do about 1/2 a dozen photos at a time before having to take a break because it gives me a headache.

Patsy, if you are able to send me the ones of Jason I might be able to sort them for you.

Wendy

Well my thoughts on the standard are as follows;

Why don't we have a universal Whippet Standard??? I know most countries use the FCI standard, except for the USA.

Now before I get shot down in flames from the folk across the pond, I am not saying their standard does not have it's virtues, because it does. However the fact they ask for "Eyes to be dark brown to nearly black in colour" and "Eye colour can vary with coat colour but dark eyes are always preferred" and the

Canadian Standard for eyes;

Eyes large, intelligent, round in shape and dark hazel in colour, must be at least as dark as the coat colour.

I personally prefer the FCI and USA standard where the eye is to be oval, (not round or small and/ or almond shape) which in my opinion, spoils the alert expression of the eye.

USA Size; "It is a disqualification if the size is half inch over or below the standard of 19 to 22 inches; for bitches, 18 to 21 inches, measured at the highest point of the withers."

Now we all know that is not easy to get dark brown, to almost black eye in a dilute coat colour, and unfortunately many visiting judges from the Americas don't know, or don't read the FCI standard when judging off shore.

Also oversize is a big problem, and we are all guilty of this, no matter what continent we reside. Allowing up to 22 inches for a male to me is too big for a small to medium size dog, as many go over the standard, even closer to 23".Our Siberian Huskies are around 23".

I have awarded dogs who have exceeded the standard. However they have exhibited standard type, elegance and balance, and this to me is more important than size (to a degree) in a good specimen.

In an ideal world we want it all, breed type, balance and movement.

I am now going into hiding, so don't try to find me!!!!lol

Molly come out, come out wherever you are! I think your points are valid. Eye colour is an interesting one because from looking at the pictures from the American National it looks as though a few dilute dogs were present so one wonders if their eye colour was acceptable for the American standard. I love a dark eye but find our standard so absolutely right on the colour thing.

Im afraid that I cant ever see us all adopting the same standard, who would be prepared to compromise and or change?

Nicky

OK, I just peeped a look and no flame throwers YET. I agree Nicky. I can't see the standard ever being universal mainly because of the size and eye colour issue. I also love dark eyes. However I would not want to have to base my breeding program on eye and coat colour alone!!!

For me, breed type has to take priority, then balance and movement. The eye and coat colour is just icing on the cake.

As the old saying does; no good dog is a bad colour!!!

Molly

Ms Molly said:
OK, I just peeped a look and no flame throwers YET. I agree Nicky. I can't see the standard ever being universal mainly because of the size and eye colour issue. I also love dark eyes. However I would not want to have to base my breeding program on eye and coat colour alone!!!For me, breed type has to take priority, then balance and movement. The eye and coat colour is just icing on the cake.

As the old saying does; no good dog is a bad colour!!!

Molly

I was very much opposed to the recent standard revision in the USA because I felt it purported to raise dilutes onto a more equal footing, then DID NOT. It basically expends far more verbiage saying exactly the same thing as the prior standard did.

With regard to size, I think the UK standard used to specify too small. It's a joke when none of the really top dogs are within standard size. The current standard is better. But I think that our standard at least gives upper and lower limits which are firm. I think that this is a better way to go than to give an ideal height but leave everything else up to the judge.

I do find that many of our dogs who push the top of the standard threaten to lose type and outline, but not all. The Catch-22 is that when your standard also makes a big to-do about powerful gait--well, a 22 1/2 male with good side gait looks a LOT more powerful than a 20 1/2" male with the same proportional degree of side gait. Movement judging from the side tends to reward the larger specimens. It's hard to balance out these varying requirements of our standard.

What I would like to see is the US standard drop all the pigment-related faults, but that will never happen. Too many people would have to agree to give up their competitive advantage.

All we can hope in the meantime is that wise judges will put this consideration at the very end of their process, so that a good dilute who is superb in outline, soundness, and overall type but has a lighter eye or nose will triumph over less exceptional non-dilutes. There are plenty of examples of this sort of dilute who have done well here, both historically and in the recent past. I've personally finished and successfully bred from quite a few of them. It's just a matter of breeding for the best possible dilute pigmentation and my dog has to be sounder and better in shape than its non-dilute competition to have a prayer of a good win.

I do know there are many savvy breeders in the USA, like yourself Karen, who are open minded about the eye and coat colour issue.

It is a pity that many of the fancy in the US of A refuse to compromise in this area. When I mentioned the possibility of a universal standard previously, I received a rather nasty email from a breeder stating; Leave OUR standard alone!!!

So what hope do you have!!!

I like the FCI standard which states; Colour any colour or mixture of colours.

Eyes Oval, bright, expression very alert

Now, I am putting on my flame suit here. The Whippet breed, is it not, an English breed? So why can't the FCI standard for our breed, be universal?

Ms Molly said:
I do know there are many savvy breeders in the USA, like yourself Karen, who are open minded about the eye and coat colour issue.It is a pity that many of the fancy in the US of A  refuse to compromise in this area. When I mentioned the possibility of a universal standard previously, I received a rather nasty email from a breeder stating; Leave OUR standard alone!!!

So what hope do you have!!!

I like the FCI standard which states; Colour any colour or mixture of colours.

Eyes Oval, bright, expression very alert

Now,  I am putting on my flame suit here. The Whippet breed, is it not, an English breed? So why can't the FCI standard for our breed, be universal?

I would be fine with that, but I think that some of our US ideas are good and should be added. I think a height DQ is essential, otherwise the standard becomes a big joke because most of the top winners are greatly in excess of the ideal size range. What's wrong with measuring dogs to decide if they are in or out? It's not like they don't do it racing or coursing...why should the show ring be exempt from upper and lower limits being enforced for competition purposes?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back