The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Seraphina said:
patsy said:
the English title is the most prized title in the world

I rather like the system they have in France, where dog has to be certified he can run fast enough before his championship title is ratified. :)

i agree, but then we are back to the whole movement issue!! though i sometimes believe when watching people amble around the ring with their dogs that they forget that this is a true running animal and not a breed developed for the same reasons as a lapdog!!

Ireland is very difficult to get a champion made up as both janet and us can testify and it was better when we were still under the UK's sytem rather than the FCI where it has rightly been said that a champions class puts the champion on the map as it were regarding the best of sex award and if a judge is wavering, it must be easier to fall on the side of the established dog rather than the up and coming one. To put ones neck on the line and put up a youngster over a top dog takes some nerve and if the younger dog never makes its title no doubt many would remind the judge of the fact!! Still i respect any judge who see's the potental in an animal rather than going for the "norm". those are the ones to show under!! :- "

ZAFONIC

zafonic said:
Seraphina said:
patsy said:
the English title is the most prized title in the world

I rather like the system they have in France, where dog has to be certified he can run fast enough before his championship title is ratified. :)

i agree, but then we are back to the whole movement issue!! though i sometimes believe when watching people amble around the ring with their dogs that they forget that this is a true running animal and not a breed developed for the same reasons as a lapdog!!

Ireland is very difficult to get a champion made up as both janet and us can testify and it was better when we were still under the UK's sytem rather than the FCI where it has rightly been said that a champions class puts the champion on the map as it were regarding the best of sex award and if a judge is wavering, it must be easier to fall on the side of the established dog rather than the up and coming one. To put ones neck on the line and put up a youngster over a top dog takes some nerve and if the younger dog never makes its title no doubt many would remind the judge of the fact!! Still i respect any judge who see's the potental in an animal rather than going for the "norm". those are the ones to show under!! :- "

ZAFONIC

I have learnt to say little here. Other wise I get into too much trouble :- " I think racing whippets & showing whippets are 2 seperate issues & wish both sides best of luck. I would never be involved in racing though.

In short, Patsy is right. :cheers: An English champion is the big prize. As an example look at the people that have had great dogs but no Champions. So to make one up would be 7th heaven.

If I ever were to have a Champion, I would like to think that it was because, on at least three separate occasions the judge thought he was the best, not the best of the rest.

Jenny

"The system you show under creates a certain psychology in both judge and exhibitor which alters the dynamic, even if slightly, in a close competition it can make a difference."

It is a shame that most of the judges are familiar with the dogs and exhibitors in the ring. I know that they go their own way but they cannot unlearn what they know about the dogs or handlers. This website for example showcases puppies from birth to their first show and beyond. Judges are seeing the development of these dogs and as I said before with the best will in the world they cannot unlearn what they know. I know there is no answer to this. It's just an observation and happens in all showing scenarios.

Cartman said:
  I think racing whippets & showing whippets are 2 seperate issues & wish both sides best of luck. I would never be involved in racing though.

When what we consider to be the "correct" type of a Whippet cannot keep up with the racing dogs then there is something wrong. The only way to prove that we do really breed a dog made for speed is to test them. No need to get involved long term. :)

Seraphina said:
Cartman said:
  I think racing whippets & showing whippets are 2 seperate issues & wish both sides best of luck. I would never be involved in racing though.

When what we consider to be the "correct" type of a Whippet cannot keep up with the racing dogs then there is something wrong. The only way to prove that we do really breed a dog made for speed is to test them. No need to get involved long term. :)

But we dont breed for speed, do we ? Dog shows are a beauty competetion. Why on earth should a show Whippet have to test itsself against a racing dog? Racing Whippets by and large are not like show Whippets and what would it prove? Whippets run at least mine do and as much as I hate it have caught and killed a rabbit or two. No Im sorry but I think the whole idea is ridiculous. Going on from that idea, then Irish Wolfhounds would have to hunt Wolves, Deerhounds Deer and lets not even consider what Rhodesion Ridgebacks would have to do!

Nicky

Seraphina said:
Cartman said:

I am sorry Seraphina I do not agree at all, I breed whippets for the show ring, I am not interested in racing at all but have nothing against people who want to race whippets for their hobby. It is nothing to do with how fast they maybe all whippets enjoy to run and should be allowed to. I know my Ch Sportingfields bitch is very fast and would have probably been very efficient but I just don't like to race, I do not have the time or money to be involved in anything else. How many racing whippets can prove themselves in the show ring, I know there are some so don't shoot me down in flames but their owners are interested in both. I once went whippet racing and I did not see anything that day that could compete in the showring,they were kept very light in condidition and their coats left a lot to be desired,not all but quite a lot.

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
"The system you show under creates a certain psychology in both judge and exhibitor which alters the dynamic, even if slightly, in a close competition it can make a difference."
It is a shame that most of the judges are familiar with the dogs and exhibitors in the ring.  I know that they go their own way but they cannot unlearn what they know about the dogs or handlers.  This website for example showcases puppies from birth to their first show and beyond.  Judges are seeing the development of these dogs and as I said before with the best will in the world they cannot unlearn what they know.  I know there is no answer to this. It's just an observation and happens in all showing scenarios.

Rosie if you think for one moment that any judge worth their salt would take any notice of pictures posted on a board . It is on the day that you judge dogs even if you adore something in the flesh a week before you judge, they can come under you and have an off day, also there could be an animal that you have never seen before and it could be the best of your entry, we don't all prejudge you know, and I get quite cross that people who do not show dogs think it is a forgone conclusion.

Now I am on my high horse I don't like to see baby puppies taken away from their mums to be photographed, their time with their babes is so short, some people tend to forget the puppies belong to the proud mum not them. I don't mind seeing pictures of them lay with mum,but it tells you nothing seeing the poor little things posing for the camera.

patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:
It is a shame that most of the judges are familiar with the dogs and exhibitors in the ring.  I know that they go their own way but they cannot unlearn what they know about the dogs or handlers.  This website for example showcases puppies from birth to their first show and beyond.  Judges are seeing the development of these dogs and as I said before with the best will in the world they cannot unlearn what they know.  I know there is no answer to this. It's just an observation and happens in all showing scenarios.

Rosie if you think for one moment that any judge worth their salt would take any notice of pictures posted on a board . It is on the day that you judge dogs even if you adore something in the flesh a week before you judge, they can come under you and have an off day, also there could be an animal that you have never seen before and it could be the best of your entry, we don't all prejudge you know, and I get quite cross that people who do not show dogs think it is a forgone conclusion.

Now I am on my high horse I don't like to see baby puppies taken away from their mums to be photographed, their time with their babes is so short, some people tend to forget the puppies belong to the proud mum not them. I don't mind seeing pictures of them lay with mum,but it tells you nothing seeing the poor little things posing for the camera.

Well done Patsy, it needed to be said. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I believe that in a previous post Rosie said that she didnt show, which ofcourse is fine, probaly very sensible but it is sometimes very easy for those who dont show to make all kinds of assumptions which very often are not correct. As for the puppie pictures again I couldnt agree more.

Nicky

patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

Patsy

I did say in my post that I know the judges go their own way. It does not take away the fact that they have prior knowledge. I know that this is unavoidable and I commend you for being able to judge what you see on the day.

UKUSA, no I do not show dogs but for many years showed horses. I would venture to say that the same politics apply to all forms of showing. Dog showing is not superior to showing any other animal.

UKUSA said:
patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

Well done Patsy, it needed to be said. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I believe that in a previous post Rosie said that she didnt show, which ofcourse is fine, probaly very sensible but it is sometimes very easy for those who dont show to make all kinds of assumptions which very often are not correct.Nicky

I have followed this thread with great interest but not posted up until now and suddenly today, there are two posts that I cannot let go by without comment.

Firstly, I wasn't quite sure how to take Rosie's comment. I am obvously one of those who choses to post pictures of my dogs because I enjoy it and because I am proud of them. I would like to think that any prospective judge out there wouldn't go on a picture of say Badger, rather than what their instinct and experience tells them when they see him in the flesh and get their hands on him. Obviously, the two people who judge and have commented already have confirmed that for me, so thank you.

My second point is regards to dual purpose dogs. Here I have to say that I sort of disagree to a point with the experts as such. I'm not expecting all the dogs in the ring to be able to compete at the racing champs or maybe not achieve LCM title, or even be a world beater in the field, but they should have the means and the instinct to be able to do it.

I wanted Ruso because I hoped with his breeding he could hold his own in the ring and at lure coursing and racing.

I wanted Badger because I believed that his breeding had the potential to mean he can do all of that and work on live prey.

I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land, and I do realise that showing is a beauty competition, but at the end of the day, the breed standard was written to show what a whippet required to be a whippet i.e. a rabbiting and racing dog and I do find it a shame that more dogs in the ring are only in the ring.

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
TC said:
UKUSA said:
patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

Well done Patsy, it needed to be said. Everyone is entitled to their opinions but I believe that in a previous post Rosie said that she didnt show, which ofcourse is fine, probaly very sensible but it is sometimes very easy for those who dont show to make all kinds of assumptions which very often are not correct.Nicky

I have followed this thread with great interest but not posted up until now and suddenly today, there are two posts that I cannot let go by without comment.

Firstly, I wasn't quite sure how to take Rosie's comment. I am obvously one of those who choses to post pictures of my dogs because I enjoy it and because I am proud of them. I would like to think that any prospective judge out there wouldn't go on a picture of say Badger, rather than what their instinct and experience tells them when they see him in the flesh and get their hands on him. Obviously, the two people who judge and have commented already have confirmed that for me, so thank you.

My second point is regards to dual purpose dogs. Here I have to say that I sort of disagree to a point with the experts as such. I'm not expecting all the dogs in the ring to be able to compete at the racing champs or maybe not achieve LCM title, or even be a world beater in the field, but they should have the means and the instinct to be able to do it.

I wanted Ruso because I hoped with his breeding he could hold his own in the ring and at lure coursing and racing.

I wanted Badger because I believed that his breeding had the potential to mean he can do all of that and work on live prey.

I'm not living in cloud cuckoo land, and I do realise that showing is a beauty competition, but at the end of the day, the breed standard was written to show what a whippet required to be a whippet i.e. a rabbiting and racing dog and I do find it a shame that more dogs in the ring are only in the ring.

TCx

TC I well know what you mean, but racing dogs or Lure coursing dogs do not need to be of the same high quality as a show whippet, I also know as I said in a previous post there are very nice whippets that compete in all of these. The breed standards are written for show judges to work by. Please do not talk to me about live prey I would faint, I love all gods creatures and would not like my dogs to kill anything, but that is me.

I know you cannot 'unlearn' what you know about the dogs in front of you. You look forward to getting your hands on and dissapointment, not in condition, not quite sound, also the weather !! On a particually hot day, dogs canbe lethargic, not moving quite right, big dissapointment, same for a cold breezy day, dogs hunched up, not relaxing !!!

So knowing what you know before hand also has its pitfalls, not all good as suggested

Last edited by a moderator:
My father had racing Greyhounds and he bred the fastest to the fastest as I imagine they do in racing Whippets, its all about speed. Show Greyhounds and Whippets are bred the best to the best, speed is not looked for.

Nicky

patsy said:
TC said:
UKUSA said:
patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

TCx

TC I well know what you mean, but racing dogs or Lure coursing dogs do not need to be of the same high quality as a show whippet, I also know as I said in a previous post there are very nice whippets that compete in all of these. The breed standards are written for show judges to work by. Please do not talk to me about live prey I would faint, I love all gods creatures and would not like my dogs to kill anything, but that is me.

Thanks for the reply Patsy, and I promise not to mention live prey again!

Can I ask though...do you not think that in an ideal world the standard would apply across the board. If you think it doesn't or can't can I ask why you think that is?

I think that there are clearly different requirements for the different disciplines, as you said before...'show' breeders do not breed for speed and I wholeheartedly agree.

I currently have four whippets in my house and although similar they are very different as they have been bred for different purposes. I suppose I just find the extremes difficult to grasp as it seems as though the breed is being seperated, something I would be interested to hear your and others thoughts on.

Thanks

TCx

UKUSA said:
My father had racing Greyhounds and he bred the fastest to the fastest as I imagine they do in racing Whippets, its all about speed. Show Greyhounds and Whippets are bred the best to the best, speed is not looked for.Nicky

Nicky,

This is really what I am referring to in my last post as well. Many people are under the impression, and indeed very verbal about it in 'non showing' circles, that the show greyhounds and whippets are not capable of doing what they were designed for which I do find sad, and also hard to defend when some I have seen (even me with my limited knowledge) I would find hard to believe are capable of running very far, let alone very fast.

TCx

TC said:
patsy said:
TC said:
UKUSA said:
patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

TCx

Can I ask though...do you not think that in an ideal world the standard would apply across the board. If you think it doesn't or can't can I ask why you think that is?

I think that there are clearly different requirements for the different disciplines, as you said before...'show' breeders do not breed for speed and I wholeheartedly agree.

I currently have four whippets in my house and although similar they are very different as they have been bred for different purposes. I suppose I just find the extremes difficult to grasp as it seems as though the breed is being seperated, something I would be interested to hear your and others thoughts on.

Thanks

TCx

Well TC you are lucky that you have a puppy that can compete in all your activities, I know that he has a good well bred sire and his dam is probably a nice quality working bitch, so you have proved it can work. How many working people would use a top class show whippet and how many show people would use a working dog. That is where the divide comes. When involved in the show ring I am sure 95o/o of exhibitors are trying to breed the ultimate show whippet.

patsy said:
TC said:
patsy said:
TC said:
UKUSA said:
patsy said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

TCx

Thanks

TCx

Well TC you are lucky that you have a puppy that can compete in all your activities, I know that he has a good well bred sire and his dam is probably a nice quality working bitch, so you have proved it can work. How many working people would use a top class show whippet and how many show people would use a working dog. That is where the divide comes. When involved in the show ring I am sure 95o/o of exhibitors are trying to breed the ultimate show whippet.

Thanks Patsy, although he still has a long way to go before anyone could say that he can do all those things, but he's giving it a good go lol!

I do see where you are coming from in what you say about breeding the ultimate show whippet, I suppose that to me is one that can do all these things. Very hard as you say to achieve, and outside of the show breeding circle I don't believe that the attention to detail is given regarding conformation, so it is hard to bring in other blood with different attributes.

Thank you for answering my questions.

TCx

Not at all uncommon over here for serious show people to use dual lines.

Our top male show Whippet of last year had such a pedigree. Ch. Shamasan Hound Hill Body N Soul "Handy" is a solid black dog with a pedigree which contains as many racing titled dogs as it does bench champions. A blended pedigree of old American racing lines combined with show lines is not a rare thing in the ring here. He has two brothers who finished their bench titles as well. His breeders and handler are highly respected for their many show dogs through the years as well as for their dual-purpose emphasis.

Of course, we don't have weight class racing and that really helps people who want a dual-purpose dog.

Dual Ch. Sporting Fields Jazz Fest was campaigned to #1 AKC lure coursing Whippet after he was #1 in the show ring.

I understand that it's more difficult in the UK because many dogs who are competitive in size and substance for the show ring are not allowed to race and course in the UK due to being overheight or over weight (by which I don't mean fat--I mean their healthy weight is above the upper limit).

That's not the case here--another difference between British and American Whippets. Our overlap is 100% between what is eligible to be shown and what is eligible to be raced/coursed. While few of the showbred dogs are tops for the track, many of them do very very well in the lure coursing arena.

While I prefer your system of showing, I prefer our way of structuring performance activities. A Whippet who is competitive in the show ring should not be disqualified from participating in performance activities designed to showcase the function and purpose of the breed.

Karen

I think at the end of the day some people prefer the showning type whippet others prefer the racing type whippet and it is a shame that whippets are now being put into two catergories showing or racing. I myself prefer the showing type of whippet but i do think its important that we do not lose touch of what whippets were bred for! but how can you bring that to the ring! can you imagine whippets running up and down a hall at crufts :lol: :lol: Again maybe a class needs to be introduced for the racing whippet but then again do you judge those whippets on the showing standard or some sort of separate standard for the racing whippet? its so difficult and judges these days have such a difficult job as it is. I have judged a few times myself and one of the things i do look for in a whippet is those that could do a days work in a field and i therefore prefer whippets to have a bit of muscle tone but every1 is different and every1 interpits the breed standard different.

Showing like racing should be done for fun and for the love of the bred. As breeders and owners of whippets what ever we use them for we should love and cherish the beutiful and graceful creatures that they are.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back