The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

I'm Back Online - Not For Fainthearted

TC

RAGGY LASS!
Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I cannot believe that I am back online, hooray!

I have been in hospital, and am so glad to be free at last. I was rushed in after a large swelling appeared on the inside of my thigh. Turns out I had a blood infection that had moved "through the planes between bone and muscle" causing the tissue to die.

Basically I now have a wound 3" in diameter and 4" deep where they excised the necrosis. This has to be packed daily with gauze soaked in iodine (god that bit hurts :( ) after they have pulled all 20m out that they stuffed in the day before :x I would not wish this on my worst enemy, it's excrutiating.

No one will commit to the length of time that it will take to heal, and I am hoping that someone on here may have heard of this before, or know somene that has had a similar wound. Any info would be fantastic.

I have been out for two weeks, but can't sit as the pressure is too bad, I am only okay slightly propped up with a pillow under my knee to take the pressure off the area. I now have a laptop, and believe me if feels a lot more like 4 months that 4 weeks that I have been out of action.

It very depressing as I am pretty much immobile as I can only walk for about 3 minutes (albeit looking like John Wayne) and that's about it :( Iam dependent on people for everything, and feel completely trapped :angry:

It was amazing being reunited with my boys though, although everyone was begging me not to go home, and thought I should stay at my parents house incase they jumped up and hurt my leg. To be honest, the pain was worth all the pleasure to give them a cuddle. Ollie has mastered the art of laying ontop of me without touching the offending area (w00t)

Anyway I will have bored you all to tears now, and I have about 24 hours worth of reading to catch up on!!!!!

Oh poor you Tracy :( :( That sounds terrible, do they know what caused it?

I'm glad you are home with your boys :wub: I bet that made you feel better there is nothing better than a whippy cuddle when you are feeling down or ill :huggles:

I wish you lots of luck for a speedy recovery :luck: :luck:

Poor you. :(

All the best for a speedy recovery :luck:

Whippets are the best form of medicine!

Hope you are soon up and about again Tracy :luck:

:cheers: Good Luck :luck: :luck: Tracy for a Speedy Recovery - poor you :( Get plenty of whippet cuddles in - Im sure they will help. :wub: :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good grief Tacey that sounds absolutely vile. Poor you. :huggles:

I hope that you make a very speedy recovery. :luck:

[SIZE=14pt]YEOUCH![/SIZE] (w00t) What an ordeal you've been through.Wishing you a speedy recovery :thumbsup: :luck: :huggles:

omg, how horrible. Did they give this dreadful-sounding condition a name?? It sounds like "nec" which premature babies get, where the tissues necrose (die). Can't be more helpful than that :( poor you, hope you feel better soon.

:luck: :luck: :luck:

Ooooo Ouch! That sounds horrible Tracy. :blink:

Don't blame you for wanting to get home though. Hope K9 can help keep your mind of it a bit and that you recover soon.

:D Welcome back Tracy :thumbsup: We have missed you at ringcraft and they still haven't replaced the mirror LOL :- " (w00t)

Sorry to hear you're not to good, its sound very nasty, hope it heals soon for you :thumbsup:

Sorry Folks, been so busy reading all the other threads that I haven't been back to check on my own ones!!!

Thank you so much for all your messages, and yes it is basically Vile!

I have a condition called pyeleunephoritis (sp (w00t) ) which means that my kidneys don't work all that well and have trouble filtering and I often end up with too many toxins going back into my blood which generally means a lot of discomfort and mass medication (often hospitilisation for IV drugs) but never ever have I had something where the toxins have attacked a weak spot in my body as this is what they have told me has happened.

It was quite gross to think of part of your leg tissue dying like that, and being such a big area it is quite frightening to see believe me. Mind you it was made worse on the third day when a new nurse came on duty and had to do the packing of the wound. She took all the old gauze out, and then said "Oh my god, I can see your bone" I started to feel sick at that point :x

Since then I have had all sorts of comments like, "Oooh, someone said it was deep but I thought they were exaggerating" and "Can I just come in and watch as I've heard about your hole" (w00t) I'm getting used to the interest now, but it was a bit scary at first :unsure:

I was gutted to miss Windsor, and I don't think I'll get to the hound show either. Very upset about this on as I had enjoyed the thread in Whippet Showing and got caught up in it and registered my pup Jake in a class (w00t) :unsure: :b :- " (Millie and Dessie will understand my fears lol) I thought I had weeks of ringcraft to get him and me ready. I might win a prize in a novelty class now if the judge took pity on the poor woman who is walking as though she has a BMD between her legs :b

As for the whippety side of my recovery, I personally feel that I would be in the depths of despair without my two to keep me amused, cuddled, stressed, and all the other emotions that go with having 5 and 7 month pups to contend with when you can't walk properly!!!

Poor you, I was wondering where you had disappeared off to. Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and I would have come home to my boys too :huggles:

poor you it sounds really painfull hope you get better soon :huggles:

awwwww,sorry to hear about your troubles hun,sounds like youve reaaly been through it. :( being back home with your beloved dogs is the best medicine you could have.hope you are well again soon :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear how unwell you have been Tracey and I hope now you are on the way to a speedy recovery. Hopefully we will be able to meet sometime soon in a puppy class somewhere. !!!

Jenny

Sorry to hear you've been unwell, sound's nasty ............Wishing you a very speedy recovery :luck: :huggles: :luck:

How awful for you. Glad to hear you are at home with your boys now. Hope you are getting some help from folk.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and just keep posting and plugged into K9 if you're feeling low. Best tonic there is. Goodness, what an ordeal for you. :(

Hi Tracey - Nasty! :x I was a District Sister for a while (well, over 20 years) and had some pretty nasty wounds to pack. After the main infection cleared, we usually used a foam substance that was mixed once or twice a week, poured into the hole, and it took on the shape. The patients then could bath (well, shower usually) and once the wound was air dried (use a hair drier on cool) the foam replaced (washed in special solution beforereplacing). That way the patients had more freedom and we only needed to visit a couple of times a week to make a new packing.

It may be a bit early yet for this, but you could ask your nurse about it and the possibility as you start to heal. We found that the less interference the better - didn't keep scraping at the new forming flesh. The good thing is, I never had one that didn't heal eventually.

Oh, do make sure you eat well - maybe take a vitamin supplement with zinc and eat lots of protein.

Above all, have plenty of cuddles with the boys!!!! :wub:

Hope this helps. Janet

Edited to say I just re-read you mail and you may not be allowed protein with a kidney problem

Last edited by a moderator:
:huggles: Get well soon Tracey :cheers: sounds as if your having a rough time of it. :huggles: from us

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back