The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Indigo & Tarka In A Tragic Accident Yesterday

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So glad Tarka is home with you. Best wishes to you and your husband and a big pat for Tarka from his well wishers in OZ.

Oh bless poor Tarka :huggles: those injuries look awful :( What a shame he is probably missing poor Indigo as well. I hope he continues to improve daily :luck: :luck:

Good luck with your house move hopefully all will go smoothly and Tarka will enjoy his new garden :luck: :luck:

Sending continued love and healing thoughts down the line to you all. Tarka looks sore but well on the way to recovery :luck: :luck: :huggles: :huggles: Best of luck too for your house move.

Have been off line and have only just read your tragic news. So sorry for the loss of your beautiful blue, Indigo

Thinking of you all and wish Tarka good recovery

Yvonne

:huggles:

I am so glad Tarka is back home with you and recovering from his injuries- the bruising looks awful :(

I hope he continues to do well, and that your house move goes smoothly :luck:

Liz and the Monellis

Just wondering how thing are going with Tarka and the family ...please keep updated as theres so many of us who are very concerned

Take care :huggles: :huggles:

Jayne x

Hello there

Tarka is doing well. He is now off the morphine and is on metacam. He is eating boiled chicken mixed in with his favourite burns complete and is wolfing it down which is a good sign!

He avoids getting up and needs help. Currently he won't put weight on his damaged leg/hip so I have to hold him up for a wee and when he needs a poo as he topples over and yelps in pain.

He is in with me at night and has trouble getting comfy so we spend alot of time awake and getting repositioned.

His bruising is going down and is less purple/black which is good.

He is showing signs of missing Indigo but I think he realises what has happened.

On a positive note he is allowing me to tickly his chest and under his tum :wub: and he eyes are looking brighter. When I ate a Go Ahead biscuit earlier he picked his head up and looked up at me hopefully.

I think he is definitely on the road to recovery. :sweating: I just need him to get up a bit more often as I was told by the vet to make sure he doesn't avoid getting mobile.

Roger seems a bit better since Tarka has come home and I did take the advice given on this thread about letting him take on some of the care for Tarka. He managed to sleep last night too which is an improvement.

I find it best if I keep myself busy and try not to think too much about how Indigo died. She was such a amazing girl that it would be too sad not to remember all her fun loving ways and what a loyal little girl she was. I have been immersing myself on this site too as I find reading about other whippet news both happy and sad is very comforting.

Yesterday I got out the insurance papers for the £2100 bill from the vet- unfortunately I am only covered uo to £500. Totally my own fault as I changed in October from a much better policy and didn't see that this policy with E&L wasn't worth having. :oops: So I think I will be changing the policy after the claim!

Im so glad Tarka's on the mend hes so brave :wub:

I had to take Peggy out using a sling up to 2/3 weeks before she had the strength to own her own...very tireing but well worth it especially when saw small improvements like wagging their tail for the first time,then thats what makes it all worth while

I had also had to pay more towards the vets bills as it went in a 4 figure number,i only insured upto a certain limit but little wiser now

Try to massage his mucsles which will help to the recovery :huggles: :huggles:

jx

kitty1972 said:
Hello there
Tarka is doing well. He is now off the morphine and is on metacam. He is eating boiled chicken mixed in with his favourite burns complete and is wolfing it down which is a good sign!

He avoids getting up and needs help. Currently he won't put weight on his damaged leg/hip so I have to hold him up for a wee and when he needs a poo as he topples over and yelps in pain.

He is in with me at night and has trouble getting comfy so we spend alot of time awake and getting repositioned.

His bruising is going down and is less purple/black which is good.

He is showing signs of missing Indigo but I think he realises what has happened.

On a positive note he is allowing me to tickly his chest and under his tum  :wub: and he eyes are looking brighter. When I ate a Go Ahead biscuit earlier he picked his head up and looked up at me hopefully.

I think he is definitely on the road to recovery.  :sweating:   I just need him to get up a bit more often as I was told by the vet to make sure he doesn't avoid getting mobile.

Roger seems a bit better since Tarka has come home and I did take the advice given on this thread about letting him take on some of the care for Tarka.  He managed to sleep last night too which is an improvement.

I find it best if I keep myself busy and try not to think too much about how Indigo died. She was such a amazing girl that it would be too sad not to remember all her fun loving ways and what a loyal little girl she was.  I have been immersing myself on this site too as I find reading about other whippet news both happy and sad is very comforting.

Yesterday I got out the insurance papers for the £2100 bill from the vet- unfortunately I am only covered uo to £500. Totally my own fault as I changed in October from a much better policy and didn't see that this policy with E&L wasn't worth having.  :oops:   So I think I will be changing the policy after the claim!

That is very encouraging news about Tarka, everything sounds positive :huggles:

Im glad Roger is feeling better too. I did wonder about Tarka missing Indigo but it is strange how they seem to know these things even better than us :) :huggles:

Im glad K9 is giving you some strength and especially a bit of happiness... :) :thumbsup: Keep up the good work... :huggles: :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
oh the poor boy, his injuries look so painful, can't blame him fr not wanting to weight bear, but encouragement and massage and a towel sling under his belly will help him initaially, then like a child he'll soon forget and want to do more than he should !

Glad you're getting some solace from k9, it's nice for you to know there is so much support and sympathy out here for you all.

:luck: for Tarka's recovery

I'm so sorry to read of these events, please accept our sympathies and sending Tarka lots of positive healing

I have onlt just seen this and I am so sorry about your loss.

but am pleased to see the wonder boy home and healing.

I think it is a good idea for your OH to help with the the caring as this should help to heal him as well.

thinking of you all sue

:oops: goodluck with the house move

Tarka has had a very good morning. His friend, Bertie, came to see him last night. Tarka soon started cuddling up to him which he has never done before with Bertie.

This morning he got up on his own and I took him for a short walk slowly up our road. He was wagging his tail and although when the wind blew he was a bit off balance he did really well.

When my friend popped over who used to walk the dogs together alot with me, Tarka got up and went to the front door waiting for his usual walk!!!

These are all great positive signs that he is recovering well. :D :D :D

Tarka_resting.JPG

Tarka_and_Bertie.JPG

:huggles: Aww look at him... :huggles: :wub: :wub: thats lovely to see...at least his friend will have cheered him up... :thumbsup:

How are you both doing?? :huggles:

Last edited by a moderator:
So please to here Tarka doing really well-what a brave lad he has ben.........bless :wub: :wub:

Janimal said:
:huggles: Aww look at him... :huggles:   :wub:   :wub:   thats lovely to see...at least his friend will have cheered him up... :thumbsup:
How are you both doing?? :huggles:

Yes, I need to arrange for my Parents to lend me their whippets more often, and Zoe can bring his brother Ollie and Mia! :thumbsup:

Roger seems alot better, he is no longer withdrawn and is communicating with people again. Having Tarka home has made the difference there. I am still having my wobbly moments about Indigo but it isn't even quite a week yet so I guess it will take some time yet.

It's really good to hear how Tarka is improving and he's cheered up a bit, enough to hope for bits of your biscuit, and to see his friends.

I'm glad also that your husband is finding things a little easier.

This may be absolutely no help to you at all (altho I hope it might be, a little bit) - but I feel sure that Indigo would not have been aware of what happened to her. It all sounded as though events moved so fast, that she wouldn't have had time to register what had happened. I don't mean to upset you when I say that; I hope I haven't.

wilfred said:
It's really good to hear how Tarka is improving and he's cheered up a bit, enough to hope for bits of your biscuit, and to see his friends.
I'm glad also that your husband is finding things a little easier. 

This may be absolutely no help to you at all (altho I hope it might be, a little bit) - but I feel sure that Indigo would not have been aware of what happened to her.  It all sounded as though events moved so fast, that she wouldn't have had time to register what had happened.  I don't mean to upset you when I say that; I hope I haven't.

Thank you; I know what you mean and I really hope that you are right. Roger said he heard a yelp and that was it. He thinks she was killed outright with the first car too.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back