The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Mum's To Be!

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
And not to be out done heres Lucy (Parkstone Lucy Lastic) showing she's just as keen as her little sister.

A nice bit of cornering,

GORGEOUS!!!! :wub: Mo's coat is really glossy and shiny :wub: and Lucy still has that face to die for :wub: thier growing soooo fast!! :wub: :wub:

fantastic pic's Mark cheers :thumbsup:

They are looking great Mark AND Paula :thumbsup: ........I do hope that your not running them behind a mechanical person though LOL :- " :lol:

The only thing they chase is propelled by me, they wont chase a drag lure till approx 8-9 months old.

Same here :D ......It's worth taking it slowly and properly with the pup's as this minimises the chance of injuring their developing muscle's, joint's and growth plate's IMO that is ........ :b

i've done it both ways Hannah, we rushed our 1st racing whippet and she was finished by 2 year oild, but her daughter was took slowly and was still racing/working at 8 years old, so I prefere these days to take my time as pups need to mature mentaly as well as physicly ready for the rigures of racing.

I know i've done the same ......I took Jacob slow but because he was soooo good i had him at his first open at 12 month's old .......I now have an early retired boy :( .......I've taken ALL of my other's slower ......now at just over 2 year's old my Miya has a straight head and her body is fully mature.......She has just started on the open curcuit this year with a very good and positive attitude (and she's starting to look a tad handy now)..........Just got to sort her trapping out now (w00t)

I find a red hot poker up the backside gets them out of the boxes nice and quick o:) (i'll point out at this point that last comment was a joke! your best with a sharp needle lol)

:eek: .....lol ........Do you know I have never had such a slow trapper as Miya though .......but as this year will be her learning year at open level, she may learn to trap quicker as time goes on :D .......She'll be a better racer next year at 3 ......see slowly ;)

IMO you need to run a pup with fast trappers to get the pup trying hard to get out of the boxes as fast as it can, IMO if you constantly train a pup against slow starters you will end up with a slow trapper (in most cases that is)

This may have already helped Miya as she's only losing 1-2 yard's coming out instead of her 4-5 yard's .........Gracie, Lottie, Jacob and Inca are all very good trapper's and I think they have taught her something :D ........she run's on strong so i'm looking forward to the longer distance's with her ........

BTW do you think that different body shape's in pup's = different racing type's ?? .........Eric (who we know is perfection itself :wub: ) is long and narrow, and seem's to have more staying power than little Connie, who is short in the body and stockier, she seem's to be a sprinter type .......just wondering that's all ........

Well Hannah,

As you well know from your greyhound days, the slimer more athletic types are thought of as being more a staying long distance type of dog where as the heavy musculed well built greys are thought of as sprinting types (on the whole that is by the old time dog men)

Can see why the same priciple cant be used for racing whippets as well, it will be interesting to watch your 2 pups progress and see if the old dog mens theory about shap/type works out.?

Hmm I was thinking that ......and the Greyhound's build did seem to determine it's racing characterisic's (blimey thats a long word for this time of day lol).........Funny aswell that the 2 pup's that I kept were the 2 that i picked when just born due to the length of their back's :b ......Must have spent too much time with those Greyhound trainers/breeders :- " .........Oh well we'll see, but Eric was definatly my pick at birth :*

Its pretty much well known about body types and works for horses and people too.

By the way, I thought your two pups looked lovely Hannah and yours too Mark. I might be a sucker for black ones but Lucy was a really gorgeous colour too - very striking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just recieved this picture of Lucy's brother Bandit (WCRCh Chase The Pied Piper x Parkstone Taboo)

look at them ears!!! (w00t) :wub:

Binx's are like that at the moment, must me a Parkstone thing, Bandit is stunning :wub: :wub: and what a great name!

Tina, you'll have to get him up to racing or lure coursing when he's older and give him a run.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back