The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

New Bwra Ruling

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
am led to beleive that if i breed my first whippet xgreyhound cross back too a greyhound, the off spring wont be allowed too register, under the new bwra rule, BUT if any of the offspring fall below 32lb, the bwra rule states whippets must be whippet like,and recognisable as a whippet,,,,rule 1 in bwra book,,,,,,,,,,
and if the off spring fall below 32lb, no one can say there not off whippet like,,,,,,,,,,AND THEY MUST BE ALLOWED TO REGISTER,,,,

and can only be refused if the whippet like rule is removed,
If the breeding rule applies tho according to the ped they won't be recognised as whippet they'll be recognised as more greyhound like (as some are now by the naked eye) ........ i have to say whippet like in appearance may need to be looked at too i see where your coming from ;) that quote in itself has left things wide open as everyones opinions on whippet like in appearance or greyhound like in appearance can differ somewhat :p
Think 'whippet like in appearence' could be bought into question on anything over 32lb.If this rule were applied then there could be no scratch dogs at all. :- but on the other hand (wait for it Karen.......)our Harv is a similar shape to Tora :lol: :thumbsup:

am led to beleive that if i breed my first whippet xgreyhound cross back too a greyhound, the off spring wont be allowed too register, under the new bwra rule, BUT if any of the offspring fall below 32lb, the bwra rule states whippets must be whippet like,and recognisable as a whippet,,,,rule 1 in bwra book,,,,,,,,,,
and if the off spring fall below 32lb, no one can say there not off whippet like,,,,,,,,,,AND THEY MUST BE ALLOWED TO REGISTER,,,,

If the breeding rule applies tho according to the ped they won't be recognised as whippet they'll be recognised as more greyhound like (as some are now by the naked eye) ........ i have to say whippet like in appearance may need to be looked at too i see where your coming from ;) that quote in itself has left things wide open as everyones opinions on whippet like in appearance or greyhound like in appearance can differ somewhat :p
Think 'whippet like in appearence' could be bought into question on anything over 32lb.If this rule were applied then there could be no scratch dogs at all. :- but on the other hand (wait for it Karen.......)our Harv is a similar shape to Tora :lol: :thumbsup:
good point you have just made, when is a dog not off whippet like apperance and more greyhound like in apperance,,,simple read rule 2 in the bwra book,ALL WHIPPETS TO BE NO MORE THAN 32LB FOR GENERAL HANDYCAP,SCRATCH CLASSES UPTO 36LB,40LB,AND NO LIMIT WHIPPETS , so rule 2 states there is no weight limit to a dog off whippet like in apperance, but there is now a cap off 55lb, so any dog thats ways upto 55lb and is of whippet like in apperance , must be allowed too race,

the point am making is rule 1 says you can race , and the breeding rule says you cant,,,,

Have been looking through some of my old lurcher racing,and lurcher show videos.Also a load of photo's on here,and on lurcher forum,way back.Then looking through a lot of photo's on ped whippet forum,i found these 2 points,as regards whippet,in apperance.Nowhere in a whippet,do we find a thick set tail,as a whippet's tail iis more whipp like,never short,like some of the none peds,including a couple of my own.Another point is that you don't get whippets with long flat backs,which is another thing that pops up in quite a lot of none peds,who are under 32 lb,as well as over.So where do you stop,or should i say start,as to whippet like,in appearence.99% of whippets ive ever seen have roach backs.In my oppinion,a hell of a lot of none peds,just look like lurchers,though they are not classed as such,by most folk.Anyhow,this is just my humble oppinion,based on what my eye tells me.Ive also seen lurchers,who have absolutely no whippet breeding in them,who you would think,was at least 1/2 whippet.

Last edited by a moderator:

good point you have just made, when is a dog not off whippet like apperance and more greyhound like in apperance,,,simple read rule 2 in the bwra book,ALL WHIPPETS TO BE NO MORE THAN 32LB FOR GENERAL HANDYCAP,SCRATCH CLASSES UPTO 36LB,40LB,AND NO LIMIT WHIPPETS , so rule 2 states there is no weight limit to a dog off whippet like in apperance, but there is now a cap off 55lb, so any dog thats ways upto 55lb and is of whippet like in apperance , must be allowed too race,

the point am making is rule 1 says you can race , and the breeding rule says you cant,,,,
the breeding rule cant work untill rules 1 and 2 get changed , i dont know the in,s and out,s of changing rules but i would think it would have to be done at a genaral meeting, and if no one calls one , the next one is a year away,,,,,,,,

Quite agree Karen lol 4 legs body and head lol and even more funny he's little No Angel's (16lb) half bro :clown: :D Little Meeka and Lil Harvey lol

what about the other rule that will need changing regarding promting a greater understanding and freindship :- im in for it now :D totaly agree with navara the cap should work on its own

the point being you can breed 3/4 greyhound to 3/4 greyhound but you still can't put the pups from this mating back to a full greyhound and if you put this pup back to 3/4 greyhound your still putting more whippet than greyhound into the offspring and thats what members who voted this proposal in want !

so your saying 3/4 ghd 1/4 whippet + 3/4 ghd 1/4 whippet is less ghd then 3/4 whippet 1/4 ghd + a full ghd come on someone on hear must of gone to school please tell me am i talking sh*t or what

Ah but when you cross 3/4 X 3/4 you run the risk of exceeding the 55lb weight limit, the 2 rules are designed to work with each other which is why one rule won't work alone. As has already been explained on this topic. :)

Ah but when you cross 3/4 X 3/4 you run the risk of exceeding the 55lb weight limit, the 2 rules are designed to work with each other which is why one rule won't work alone. As has already been explained on this topic. :)
SAME THING APLIES TO TWO BECOME ONE HE MATED KILLECKLE RENI (greyhound )

2 scratch dogs and 7 yard per pounders one of them was NCH OF CH PRIMUS

AND I THINK THE BIGEST IS SUPREME RCH ON THE BALL ABOUT 45LB but a mating like that is now in the past

GARY

when you cross any sized cross breed you run the risk of any shape or size what i am asking can some one tell me is there more ghd in a 1/4 ghd +full ghd then 3/4 ghd + 3/4 ghd. and if you abide by these rules you break rule 1 in the bwra whippet in aperence so what happens then.

3/4 x 3/4 cross = 6/8 grey
1/4 x full ghd = 5/8 grey
thanks very much for that. see what im saying how are you trying to breed down on the greyhound when theres more ghd in 3/4 + 3/4 i think gary farmers right some people are being victomized (your not just being paranoid) or have you been at the funny stuff again :D only joking i hope this can be put right for the sake of non ped whippet racing.

See peeps are starting to look at the bigger picture now :eek:

THANK YOU TREVOR

I ONLY WISH THAT THERE WAS ONE OR TWO MORE PEOPLE THAT REALISE IM NOT JUST SAYING THIS TO PROTECT MY OWN BREEDING

BUT HONESTLY FEEL THIS PROPASAL IS NOT THE WAY FORWARD IT HAS TOO MANY LOOP HOLES

HOWEVER I WILL ABIDE BY THE NEW RULE AS LONG THAT THERE IS A TIME LIMIT GIVEN FOR PUPS ALREADY BORN

EVEN THOU I THINK THIS RULE IS RIDICULOUS

GARY

Question

lets say i have a german shepherd stud dog and have a lovely bitch whos 3/4 german shepherd 1/4 jack russell, i mate them get a lovely litter of 7 pups, when the pups i keep are old enough i take them a long to race them at a terrier club, should they be allowed to run with all the other jack russell ??

oh forgot to say they were jack rusell like in aperence lol

You'll be lucky if you get a response Yvonne. Vicky tried demonstrating the same with a pedigree and using a poodle as an example and folk were still in denial.

3/4 x 3/4 cross = 6/8 grey
1/4 x full ghd = 5/8 grey
Genetics doesn't work like this. The only time you definately get an accountable amount is with whippet X greyhound linings because 1/2 the DNA must come from the whippet and 1/2 must come from the greyhound.

With 1/4, 3/4, 7/8 etc etc no-one can rule out there not being whippet DNA present, however just because there's a small amount there doesn't exactly make it out to be a whippet. When you start lining 1/4,1/2, 3/4 or even 7/8 to a pure greyhound, the amount present cannot be estimated and really it's best to look at each case individually. Hence arguments being put forward for only lining some of these dogs to greyhounds if they weigh below 40lb. (The hope being these dogs would possess less of the greyhound genes within them)

I asked this question a few years back and never got an answer and I doubt I will now. When does a whippet cease to become a whippet and when does it become a greyhound?

i understand u can mate a 3/4 grey to 3/4 grey

1/2 cross to 1/2 cross

and get greyhound type or whippet type,,,,,same can be said for 1/2 cross mated to a whippet thats not had greyhound in its breeding for 4 to 8 genertions

but lets not get away from the fact,,,some will turn out whippet type,s

say i mated my 1/4 cross with a greyhound,,,and got a whippet type,,and under this new rule ,,i was not allowed to race

rule 1 iam aloud ,,and under rule 2 my pup fall,s under the 32lb hadycap ,,,,the question is ,im i aloud to race,,and if the 1st and 2nd to rules say yes but the new breeding rule says no,,,,,,have i got a legal case to fight this ????????

you cant have 2 rules saying yes ,,,if they meet the weight and whippet type apperance ,,,,,and a new rule saying no

i also notied a internet page on what is a non ped whippet,,,i think it was a page writen on stocktn on tee,s,,,,they decribe non ped whippet as 15lb to 50lb,,,now iam happy with that,,,,but not on control on pll,s breeding,,,,cos pll,s who put there whippet to greyhound ,,,who open up the gen pool from time to time are the pioneer,s to the gen pool,,,,,

with this new rule ,,,most pll,s will now shy away,,if they have dog,s (i,e 1/4 or 1/2 crosses e.t.c ) as this limits them to who they can breed

answer thats just been silly of course it could havnt you ever seen a german jack sheperd terrier :unsure:

question yvonne not been nasty but is musclebound a whippet :( answer to us is yes .but joe public definatly wouldnt see it as a whippet dont you agree :unsure

anything over 35 pound wether its forty forty five or fifty wouldnt get reconised as a whippet from anyone other than non ped racers :( thats why they are called scratch dogs and were known as no limit until recently well as far as bwra rules go that is :b we all have diferent views on all subjects but surly the point now should be just to get all pups born before a certain date regestered then see how it goes might work ok might not :wacko: to be honest people can still breed what they want as long as it dosnt take the p.ss as the rule only applies to the bwra and this isnt a dig at graham but do you beleive any of this would of happened if graham hadnt used magical dreams to a greyhound because i dont but that was grahams choice .

sorry jak but the poodle thing didnt work as we never ever had any poodle blood did we :lol: but without greyhound blood you definitly would not have non ped whips :( i agree cetain breeding has been over the top but some of the other sums regarding percentiges just dosnt add up :(wait until 10 year or so and everyones wanting greyhounds back because there too many bulls been bred due to lack of greyhound blood :b it could happen

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back