The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Saucy Madam

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D Lamping Man, I am sorry to hear your vet has worried you. Like Mark said if the puppies are quiet and contented they are fine........... hungry puppies cry and do not settle.

In 18 years, I have bred 23 litters and lost count of the whelpings I have helped deliever. Local canine midwife :)

Firstly a bitches milk does not come in until about day 3, until that time she is producing colostrum, this contains all the antibodies etc that give the pups a good start in life. Once the milk comes in proper you will know; if you sit watching them feed they will plummel away at the teats often making a moaning noise, then all of a suddenly they will all start gulping, the milks arrrived!. After a while the pup will move away until its hungry again. The best bit's when they are all a bit older, once they have all finished on one teat they all do a big scramble for another, a bit like a rugby scrumble LOL :lol:

I always weigh my pups daily and at the same time of day from birth for the first week or two. On avarage they put on a quarter of an ounce up to an ounce a day. This is best done at first when mums out for a wee so she doesn't get distressed but she will settle in a few days. Weighing them this way you know they are gaining weight, and any loss of weight is a cause for concern. Plus it also helps the puppies get used to being handled and know the smell of you. (the only sence thats working at this age)

All the best with you puppies and most of all enjoy them. The time passes to fast !

Wendy.

Sorry I haven't got any advice, I just wanted to say I hope everything goes well for the Madam and those lovely babies :luck: :luck:

As ever. Thanks everyone for your responses re. the milk thing. They are all sleeping at the moment. I offered Saucey a drink of Welpi tonight and she took it. She and I are content.

Bliss from Chris

How's Madam and pup's doing now. Any photo's for us all to see :thumbsup:

Hi everyone. Just an update. The pups are doing brilliantly, getting plenty of milk from a full Madam so no problems there. Am going to weigh them tonight and will hopefully get some individual pics at the same time which I would like you all to see.

Whilst i'm on has anyone any advice re. weaning?. When to, how to. what to give and how much .

The Madam comes alive during the night. She tops the pups up at regular intervals and then from about 2 am she starts. Licking my face. sitting on the bed for a few mins then running back to the pups. Then she cries as she wants to go out and then she tells me her bowl's empty of the previous serving of best lamb mince, heart. liver and kidney. I had beans on toast for my tea. Have I got the balance wrong?

Don't forget the weaning

I should have been a dog

Chris :D

Hi Lampy

Glad to hear her milk is finaly flowing :thumbsup: just shows vets don't know everything do they?.

anyway weaning, our method is at around 14 days (depending on how advanced the pups are) we mix up some Whelpi (I beleave the vet drooped some of that on you for another reason :- " ) anyway we mix 1/2 pint of Whelpi to 3 level Scoops of Whepi, we then use that milk to mix with 2-4 Farleys Baby rusk depending on the size of the litter (number of pups not weight) we mix it to a slightly thickerconsistancy than the milk was on it's own.

over the next 3-4 days we thicken it to a creamy texture then move the pups on to minced Chicken mince (cooked) at around 3 weeks then as they grow we slowly move them onto Red Mills Racer with Raw Beef & Tripe.

hope that helps i'm sure otheres will have differant ways but that works for us.

Lampys Pups

1.jpg

2.jpg

Thanks Mark for putting the pics on. I must have duplicated on one as there is one missing. His name is Zorro (chosen by Mark) he's fatter than the rest ( no not you Mark :D ) I'll put his picture on later when he wakes up. I think he's a stunner but I would wouldn't I ??

Do you like my boys and girls? (w00t) :D :)

I do pretty much the same as Mark , with the addition of scrambled egg , which most of my pups have loved . I use Pedigree chum Professional puppy for my pups too .not racer , but as long as its for baby puppies any biscuit that is well balanced will do . I know peps say you shouldnt give meat AS WELL as complete foods as then its not a `balanced `diet but mine have always looked ok on it . As they get older I try to give them the sort of food that I would like the `new `mums and dads` to feed . As all my puppies go off to there new homes with a bag of whatever they are on .

Great looking pups Chris :wub: you must be well pleased

Hi Chris, your welcome is Zoro not the 1 in pic 1? (thats why I put him 1st! where he belongs)

The pups are looking realy well it must be good milk that the madams producing but you wouldn't expect anything less.

Great pictures - still like brindle one with white face - :wub: :wub:

Lovely puppies.

They all bonny. Madam is doing a grand job :huggles: . Keep the photo's coming :cheers:

The one with all of the white his/her(?) is too cute for words! :wub: :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back