The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Scratch Racing/breeding

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I think it's a really positive thing to have individuals post about their breeding and the outcomes of their offspring, firstly those that can reel off their pups bred, their names, their location and their activities are in my eyes playing a vested interest in their breeding as a whole.

1. For those who may be interested in a particular lineage in the future, it may well be that the dogs racing may be unsuitable for one reason or another to be bred from but the fact they have siblings that can be accounted for may be useful to those searching.

2. It can be a good indicator of whether a litter was a success or not, especially when a lot of the litter have gone into lurcher racing, they may be succesful there without it being common knowledge in the non-ped racing world.

3. I think there's a lot to be said of those who breed a litter and retain a pup / pups as it's a personal reflection on how they feel about the mating.

4. I personally find it useful to know the incidence of injured dogs, especially if they're recurring injuries throughout a litter, for example if all a litter suffered from sprung toes etc. This isn't a straight forward matter though as there are so many variables to take into consideration, e.g. I'd expect pups homed to working lurcher homes would be far more vulnerable purely by the fact they're running on unfavourable ground.

5. There's also some use to all of us about the ability to gain suitable pet homes. Non-ped club racing figures have declined through a combination of pit's closing down, lifestyles modernising and hunting bans coming into place. Finding a suitable pet home where someone wishe's to stay fit by owning a dog, has the time and companionship needed and can cope with a breed that is strongly inclined to chase moving objects is not going to be the easiest thing to find these days. There's also the Peddy whippet that's flooding the market that can convince the naive pet owner that the pretentiousness of a KC name is some sort of guarantee to quality. :- "

This does sort of cross over into Sherry's thread, but these are all effectors to whippet racing at your local club especially as most newcomers start off with a pet quality whippet before they 'get the bug' as it were.

some great points in tthis thread i think its a great idea 2 c where the ghd x whippet pups of the last few years are now what size they made if they r racing etc etc.

a few that dee never mentioned: nice catch ( nikkitason x ghd) lil aurora ( aurora borelis x ghd) both racing each week @ the local wallsend h/caps and both competing regualry in opens. isnt sues blue from wor john x florence regualry competes @ opens. the weights nice catch & lil aurora 40lb sues blue no limit.the other 2 up here from nikkitason x ghd nikki whizz weighs approx 46/47lb runs regular @ opens shay approx 50lb runs regualar @ opens although not seen him for a while prob having a winter break.

Think it would be interesting to look at where pups go for all sizes and weights.........I would presume the same thoughts in most of the above posts apply, and i think it would be an interesting comparison ( if you could do it) to look at any differences or similarities in % racing, going to pet homes etc. Guess it would have to be a different thread tho

Chris

ghd xsimpson litter(brookhill maggie) were all sold to racing homes / ppl wanting to get into racing however only maggie raced non ped some race with the lurchers and some have been kept for pets ......it is good to see your pups racing but personally i think as long as its a good home thats good enough for me......

ritch

woody1456 said:
sherry said:
156 views and nobody has an opinion?????????
As i raced some years ago! during the 60s up untill the early 90s i always found a mixture of reactions to "scratch racing" you had the "purist" point of view that anything over 30lb was deemed to be getting to be more like a greyhound or a lurcher! on the other hand there was always a great deal of interest when i raced at coxlodge and westerhope when they had "match" races sometimes having greyhounds pitted against good club scratch dogs of the day! during the late 80s and the early 90s the amount of no limit racing seemed to have reached some kind of peak! the dogs of the time were up against each other on a weekly basis! namely dogs like- helens boy-cm-bi carb-slipper- nikita-my own dog woodman and various others! my only problem at the time was that there seemed to be and endless supply of whippet greyhound pups for sale most who never made the grade and were never seen again! i know we cant dictate how a litter turns out but i preferred to see more selective breeding rather than the kind of "lets hope" attitude!

Intresting post Woody :thumbsup: just wondering how your dog Woodman was bred?

Geoff

rob67 said:
Think it would be interesting to look at where pups go for all sizes and weights.........I would presume the same thoughts in most of the above posts apply, and i think it would be an interesting comparison ( if you could do it) to look at any differences or similarities in % racing, going to pet homes etc. Guess it would have to be a different thread tho
Chris

Will try drafting something up for people to add the outcome of there breeding to

Probably the best way would be to link to previous threads about litters, Vicky's is a good example as she's regularly updated it so you get the whole story of the litter from birth to adulthood.

milly said:
woody1456 said:
sherry said:
As i raced some years ago! during the 60s up untill the early 90s i always found a mixture of reactions to "scratch racing" you had the "purist" point of view that anything over 30lb was deemed to be getting to be more like a greyhound or a lurcher! on the other hand there was always a great deal of interest when i raced at coxlodge and westerhope when they had "match" races sometimes having greyhounds pitted against good club scratch dogs of the day! during the late 80s and the early 90s the amount of no limit racing seemed to have reached some kind of peak! the dogs of the time were up against each other on a weekly basis! namely dogs like- helens boy-cm-bi carb-slipper- nikita-my own dog woodman and various others! my only problem at the time was that there seemed to be and endless supply of whippet greyhound pups for sale most who never made the grade and were never seen again! i know we cant dictate how a litter turns out but i preferred to see more selective breeding rather than the kind of "lets hope" attitude!

Geoff

i wasnt having a "dig" at anyone breeding with greyhounds as my own no limit woodman was bred by mr benn - glorious redwood (greyhound) we intentionally looked for this sort of cross as we were looking for an open class no limit at the time! and well! mr benn you couldnt really go far wrong!

woody1456 said:
milly said:
woody1456 said:
sherry said:

Geoff

i wasnt having a "dig" at anyone breeding with greyhounds as my own no limit woodman was bred by mr benn - glorious redwood (greyhound) we intentionally looked for this sort of cross as we were looking for an open class no limit at the time! and well! mr benn you couldnt really go far wrong!

Woodman was a brilliant dog

woodman (mr ben glorious redwood) i had litter sister mrs penny others chinaman china fleetwood

I don't race scr but like to watch it. But the size of the parents doesn't always say what size the pup's will be. My bitch out of two become one and greyhound ranges between 28/30lb yet my bitch sasparella 18lb to wor john resulted in Rhyme n reason 35/36lb to me you can get big and small from all breading.

milly said:
anth said:
woodman (mr ben glorious redwood) i had litter sister mrs penny others chinaman china fleetwood
Did Nigal Preswood have Chinaman?

nigel did have chinaman! he raced mainly against greyhounds though! they also got fleetwood from mark and dawn ancell (second litter) who beat us in the championships (straight) mark and dawn raced fleetwood in the 40lb and nigel and maysell decided to go for no limit racing which paid off for them!

woody1456 said:
milly said:
anth said:
Did Nigal Preswood have Chinaman?

nigel did have chinaman! he raced mainly against greyhounds though! they also got fleetwood from mark and dawn ancell (second litter) who beat us in the championships (straight) mark and dawn raced fleetwood in the 40lb and nigel and maysell decided to go for no limit racing which paid off for them!

Thanks for your reply Woody :thumbsup: Nigal & Macey used to live a few doors down from me in the 80s, and I always liked the look of Chinaman :thumbsup: my kind of dog.

Geoff

I think there are to many big dogs and you lot will hold up our racing as for bloody gary and tinkie what ever you call him he needs to wear a condom 9/10/9 pups some one told me this dog just looks at bitchs and they fall pregers. :- "

tony warren said:
I think there are to many big dogs and you lot will hold up our racing as for bloody gary and tinkie what ever you call him he needs to wear a condom 9/10/9 pups some one told me this dog just looks at bitchs and they fall pregers. :- "
hear he does terriers as well he needs therapy :blink:

oh i hear congrates are in order young mo, and by the way im racing killer cats :p

CHEERS TONY, HA, HA,HA.

ANY WAY. ITS ABOUT TIME YOU TREATED YOUR SELF TO ANOTHER SC DOG,

ALL THEM YARD POUNDERS, YOU WILL BE GOING HAMMER SHAFT MATE.. :D :thumbsup:

jasper. said:
CHEERS TONY, HA, HA,HA.ANY WAY. ITS ABOUT TIME YOU TREATED YOUR SELF TO ANOTHER SC DOG,

ALL THEM YARD POUNDERS, YOU WILL BE GOING HAMMER SHAFT MATE.. :D   :thumbsup:

he,s got some maurice i met him at george drakes the other week. :thumbsup:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back