The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ticks****** Shudders******

Joanna

Registered
Reaction score

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
I have found a tick on Archie, it is from today I think. I phoned the vet to ask about Frontline spray, and the receptionist said to spray it directly onto the tick.

I just need to know what to expect now, and the timeline of events, and should I do any-thing else..........

I feel ill :x

Did they pick the ticks up when you were out Joanna - my old dog Chip used to get them walking in our local forest. i didnt even notice them till I got home - and they were quite big ones. (w00t)

Ive just Frontlined all my cats and Oscar - but its mainly fleas at this time of the year - as soon as they start catching baby rabbits. (w00t) (w00t) I use the little pippets from the vet at the base of the necks.

How do you get rid of the ticks after spraying them - do they fall off ?? (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know Janis.......I used the spray. Archie picked one up in long grass on the common.

Vile :x :x :x

They are horrible little critters - its the little front legs that hook into the skin - if you pull them off they can regrow I think - Ugghhhh :x I expect spray will totally KILL them completely Zap Zap :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to just LOVE getting the sheep ticks off the Greyhounds we used to get over form Ireland , Some of them would be huge and we`d put them all together and place an `old penny ( Thats how long ago it was ) :- " on top , thump down on it and watch all the blood squelch out the side :x we never had sprays in those days o:)

Mind you , you have to be really careful how you get them off , if you leave the head in , they can grow another body (w00t) plus if its not done right it can go sceptic ( yes i did put sceptic ! :lol: ) I used to much prefer ticks to fleas , as ticks dont jump :thumbsup: .

The best places to look for ticks are , behind the ears and in between the toes ,oh and near their bottom , round the base of the tail .Its where the flesh is easy to get too and warm . :wacko:

Ive not seen one for years :(

A friend of mine acquired a little terrier (long story). Anyway it was riddled with ticks - anyway this is honest to godthe truth - she thought she had a mole on her side and when whe went to the doctors it was a tick. She had never ever seen a tick till then. (w00t)

Well, photos for Jax........Poor Archie is completely neurotic at the best of times, I have just done close up photos of behind his ear..........Ticks :x

tick_one.jpg

ticktwo.jpg

Always get the minging things on Roland and Tom, (Ferrets) sometimes 15 + around the face, they start off white and very small, then turn grey as they fill up with blood and increase in size,of a apple pip, then fall off, hopefully.

Have read they can grow to the size of "Conkers" Horse chestnut seed.

Lots of methods used to get rid of them,

Tweezers, but you have to make sure the head comes out.

A ciggarette end !!

Vasiline to cover the body, stops it breathing !!

A penlike tool with a heated nib, this burns them off.

Frontline spray, for dogs not ferrets.

Time , as they just fall off.

They really are a disgusting blood sucking mite.

ooooHH joanna that photo just made skin crawl my friend had one on the top of her head you could see the legs moving :x she had it burn't off at the hospital

:x Yuck :x I thought Alfie had a tick one evening... I rushed around in a panic.... then I realised it was a slug :- "

My mate Rae has given me instructions on how to remove with tweezers........

I have done it :x :x :x

Is this the whole thing?

tick_out.jpg

(w00t) your braver than me Joanna I wouldn't have gone near it :x

Cheers

Steve

:D Yep looks like you got the whole critter Jo :thumbsup:

I should't have looked, just had dinner :x :x

Well done you Joanna :thumbsup:

JAX said:
I used to just LOVE getting the sheep ticks off the Greyhounds we used to get over form Ireland , Some of them would be huge and we`d put them all together and place an `old penny ( Thats how long ago it was )  :- " on top , thump down on it and watch all the blood squelch out the side  :x   we never had sprays in those days  o:)
Mind you , you have to be really careful how you get them off , if you leave the head in , they can grow another body  (w00t)   plus if its not done right it can go sceptic ( yes i did put sceptic ! :lol: ) I used to much prefer ticks to fleas , as ticks dont jump  :thumbsup: .

The best places to look for ticks are , behind the ears and in between the toes ,oh and near their bottom , round the base of the tail .Its where the flesh is easy to get too and warm . :wacko:

Ive not seen one for years  :(

What a full and exciting life you've led Jax (w00t) :lol:

Well done joanna for getting that off I bet it would be hard to spot one in mine with them being dark, it would show up on spry though :x :x :x shuddering now :x

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back