The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ticks****** Shudders******

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Any truth to the rumour that you will be back in half a tick?

Errrrrr Im all itchy now ........................ :rolleyes: :ph34r: :'(

Vasiline to cover the body, stops it breathing !!
Yes, this is what we used to do with our GSDs. Takes a while for the ticks to suffocate, but at least they come out whole and you don't risk some hideous septic abcess :x and it's less stressful to the animal than having to hold them still while you fiddle with instruments (unless you like that kind of thing ;) )

Yes, Joanna, this thread had better go on FAQ. There aren't going to be any better pictures of ticks - EVER!

edited to say - you do need a huge gob of vaseline though, about a teaspoonful, to really encapsulate the tick.

Last edited by a moderator:
We put Vasiline on to cover the body and the ticks die over night, then you get the fun of pulling them out in the morning

I could have got a better pic if I had used a tripod! :( If it ever happens again, I will try and get less wobbly shots........Just for reference on Helens FAQ :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll also take a pre and post squishing photo for Rae, and if a pus lump appears, a pic of that for Dessie......Crumbs, the possibilities are endless :thumbsup:

A post squishing pic would be lovely :b

You can get proper tick hooks from the vets - a pack has 2 sizes in for large / small ticks - and they come with instructions on to properly remove the tick - which is basically twist it while you pull it. (So as not to leave the head in)

If you dont have the proper tick hook then tweezers are just as good - I never have nails long enough to grab it otherwise :(

I then squish it in kitchen roll so that I know it cant get out the bin and re-attach it's horrid little self to anyone again. :x

This whole thread cracks me up!

They don't regrow heads or anything like that, and you'd be super-unlucky to get a tick-borne disease from one or two bites. They are revolting, and they are effectively killed by Frontline (although this won't stop them biting - a product called Advantix from Bayer will though).

:))

Joanna said:
The little B*st*rd was chasing cows on the common Estelle, that long grass is giving me the heeby jeebies now :(
ARGH! That's it - my two are wearing WELLIES when they go walkies!

kirislin said:
Yep it looks like you got it all.  I'm in Australia but they look pretty similar.  Can they kill your dogs over there?  We have paralysis ticks in some parts of Australia & they are awful, they can kill dogs, people, they're really bad.
(w00t) (w00t) Only in Australia!! Where the rest of the world has "nasty little critters" - Australia has "nasty little KILLER critters"!!!! :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Thanks ILKC for throwing light on that ....(I wasnt sure about the head growing thing) :cheers: They are horrible critters though still :shifty:

Can the head cause the disease or infection though??

anslinmcg said:
(w00t) This thread reminds me of when my old boy had a tick on his undercarriage, so we pulled and puffed to get this damn thing off.
o:) Poor man he was so patient, until.........

:x we realised that we had been trying to pull off one of his nipples :x

Now that really made me chuckle!!! :D

Just remembered , that when we had the time , we used to race them too !!! (w00t) Well we were working at Greyhound racing kennels you know :- " :lol:

and i wasnt evil as a child , but now you know why ive never had children ! ;)

Janimal said:
Can the head cause the disease or infection though??
Yes - not necessarily because the tick is carrying disease though - often infection is simply because the bacteria on the skin surface are injected into the bloodstream as the tick bites. :x . As long as you twist the tick as you pull it, it should let go every time. Those little green tick remover hooks are unbeatable!

[SIZE=14pt]OMG[/SIZE] Just caught up with this thread. :x Jakey had a tick last week. (w00t) Malc noticed it when he went to pick him up from my mums. He says that my wonderfully brave mum gripped it twisted it pulled it out then put it on a piece of paper to check she had the whole thing then took it out the back door and squished it. Glad I never seen it. (w00t) :x

pamalkie said:
[SIZE=14pt]OMG[/SIZE] He says that my wonderfully brave mum gripped it twisted it pulled it out then put it on a piece of paper to check she had the whole thing then took it out the back door and squished it.
Yep! that's just the way to do it!!!

Why do I always read this thread when I'm eating?

Oh - I know ....... I'm ALWAYS eating!

dessie said:
pamalkie said:
[SIZE=14pt]OMG[/SIZE] He says that my wonderfully brave mum gripped it twisted it pulled it out then put it on a piece of paper to check she had the whole thing then took it out the back door and squished it.
Yep! that's just the way to do it!!!

With tweezers if you are squeamish though!!!!!!!!!!!! :x

Don't believe this but found another tick on Jakey this morning. And it was me that found it (w00t) I nearly had a heart attack they are revolting. :x So it was straight up to my mums to get it removed. :thumbsup: Good job somebodys not squemish about these things. Then today on our walk we spotted one on Jilly but luckily it hadn't had time to attach itself to her. There must be a plague of them. I am now getting totally paranoid about them.

Could someone tell me more about advantix? Will it stop them from getting them ?and how do you apply it to the dog?

pamalkie said:
Don't believe this but found another tick on Jakey this morning. And it was me that found it  (w00t) I nearly had a heart attack they are revolting. :x   So it was straight up to my mums to get it removed.  :thumbsup:   Good job somebodys not squemish about these things. Then today on our walk we spotted one on Jilly but luckily it hadn't had time to attach itself to her. There must be a plague of them. I am now getting totally paranoid about them. Could someone tell me more about advantix? Will it stop them from getting them ?and how do you apply it to the dog?

It's made by Bayer, who claim that it prevents ticks biting in the first place. You apply it just like Frontline Spot-On, but at sites behind the head, between the shoulder blades and on top of the bum. Don't let your cats go anywhere near it! It sounds like it's quite effective from the feedback I've heard, and I haven't taken any off my own dogs since I used it, so it may be worth asking your vet about it. :))

Thanks for that ILKC I'm going to try and get some. :thumbsup: Hope you're having a nice holiday :huggles:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back