The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Ticks****** Shudders******

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
guess what?????? (w00t) Angel had a tick on her,right behind her ear, a big one filled up with blood :x .Hubby got the good old tweezers,twisted and pulled and bingo it was out with legs (w00t) :x put it on some paper towel and sqeeze it then flush it down the loo :D .poor Angel,she must of got that one last Monday when we went in the woods. i have check them all now,no others thank god.

Went to the vet and got some advantix also the special hook things to pull them out if they get anymore. (w00t) (w00t)

Jakeys got wee lumps where he had them but the vet checked them out and says there ok. :thumbsup: Also had to get his wee front leg checked :( :( He's been limping but doesn't seem to be in any pain. (started new thread)

Hope youve got rid of those horrible TICKS :x Pam Im sure Jakey and Jully will be well pleased. :thumbsup:

Just bumping this thread back up for interest because it seems to be the time of year. Josie has had four ticks in three weeks :x I've just despatched another one. And she's a dog who gets frontlined!

Off to get the tea tree oil on the site, now...

~Helen~ said:
Just bumping this thread back up for interest because it seems to be the time of year. Josie has had four ticks in three weeks :x I've just despatched another one. And she's a dog who gets frontlined!
Off to get the tea tree oil on the site, now...

Thats what you get for moving to the country Helen...... :lol: :- "

all those of you who use tweezers to remove the tics.....what do you then pluck your eyebrows with ? :blink: :x :x

when our cocker spaniel had them (OH had to remove them :x ) I thought they were in our grass in the garden, you've never seen anyone hang washing on the line as fast as me that summer !!!!! (w00t)

UUUUUUUUUGH! Hate the bastards :angry:

We don't seem to get them here but the dogs have picked them whilst away camping a few times. :(

Here's a link for tick hooks. They work really well. I always squash them in a tissue soaked in surgical spirit after I've got them out. We've always got one in the first aid kit now :D

Tick Hooks

Last edited by a moderator:
ive heard vasaline works, havnt done it myself, plaster in on and they fall off, not straight away mind..

hate them,my only encounter i had with one was on a semi feral cat i use to feed,i put cooking oil on it,off the cat went,he came back the next day minus the tick,so bingo cooking oil works too. :thumbsup:

trish and graham said:
hate them,my only encounter i had with one was on a semi feral cat i use to feed,i put cooking oil on it,off the cat went,he came back the next day minus the tick,so bingo cooking oil works too. :thumbsup:
Not necessarily because when the tick is sated with blood it will drop off anyway!

Just twist the damn things off, for goodness sake! I would far rather the dogs pick up ticks than fleas, much easier to deal with!!!

you can get a tool from the vets which twist them out and dont leave any nasty bits in :x

I went to pick up a feral kittten today & once I'd got her I had a look & she was full of ticks all round her tail. She is about 6 weeks old, full of ticks, very aenemic & starting with cat flu. Poor little girl :( The vet gave her a good dousing with frontline & hopefully the ticks will have dropped off by now. Some antibiotics & a foster mum for a few weeks & she will be fine but some of those ticks were as big as her toes (w00t)

Got to go back & try to get the mum at some point, she had ticks all round her ears but needs to be trapped as she is very feral.

Ticks are horrible but at least they dont jump all over the place like fleas :teehee:

hiya guys, ticks here in the New Forest are just part of life.

they certainly DONT regrow heads if you leave them in; but can turn septic as there is a bit of the tick left inside the skin.

Best bet for the squeemish is a mikki tick picker, about a couple of quid from the vet, sorta flicks em out. Best get vet nurse to demo if unsure.

Prevention is so much better tho, frontline kills em when they bite but you need to keep to instructions and top up every 4 weeks or so (with flea control it can be left up to 7 weeks b4 another top up treatment).

There is a newish product called ADVANTICS or ADVANTIX, this actually repells the ticks from the animals coat and they wont latch on. (good video get your vet nurse to let you borrow it).

So if fleas are bad and a few ticks id go for frontline; if ticks are bad then advantix or however its spelled.

Alternatively do what we do ... ticks very common here, local kids come to school with them on their legs etc..... CHECK your dog (and self) after walking in deer/sheep type areas, or long grass. You are looking for a tiny blackish spider like creature which will be crawling UPwards. They ALWAYS go up. They dont attach straight away, possibly mooching about for up to an hour or so selecting a spot. So are easily seen on smooth coated dogs like whippets, pointers etc and can be flicked off (squashed, mangled or whatever takes your fancy). Its always worth a quick look again in a couple of hours in case you missed any cos they are easily mikki tick picked off at this stage. (Saxon had one right on his ring piece once <grin>)

Alternatively if you still want to be chemical free then a cigarette will usually encourage them to get off! Of slather them in vasiline and suffocate em to death they will let go and drop off but it takes a day or two. They will eventually drop off on their own as once they are full of blood they want to drop off into long grass and lay eggs etc.... digest blood etc and lie in wait for next creature to walk past... i think they can wait for several months befre needing to reattach.... so i suppose being gross if they fall off inside you could possible get the little s*ds back again if they dont get sucked up the vacuum cleaner... (no chance here then... wot vacuum cleaner?)

have fun ! :clown:

Joanna said:
I have found a tick on Archie, it is from today I think. I phoned the vet to ask about Frontline spray, and the receptionist said to spray it directly onto the tick.I just need to know what to expect now, and the timeline of events, and should I do any-thing else..........

I feel ill :x

where you near "appleby game fair" ? ? "fleas and tick distributers of the world unite" convention last weekend !! :x

itchh... scratchhhhhh fidgettttt o:)

I have used many methods in the past (vaseline, meths, tweezers etc), but am now a TOTAL convert to the tick hooks - brand name 'O TOM' - about £3 from the vets for a pack of 2, one small and one large.

The advantage of the hooks is that you just slide them behind the tick's head and twist anticlockwise so the tick lets go - any of the methods which involve squeezing the tick's body can cause them to inject the contents of their stomach back into the dog, which is when infection can be transmitted.

Most ticks have whitish/grey bodies, but there have been some instances of brown ticks turning up (specifically in the south-east, I think) and there have been some problems in dogs that have been bitten by these brown ticks.

Eleanor Gibbins said:
I have used many methods in the past (vaseline, meths, tweezers etc), but am now a TOTAL convert to the tick hooks - brand name 'O TOM' - about £3 from the vets for a pack of 2, one small and one large.
The advantage of the hooks is that you just slide them behind the tick's head and twist anticlockwise so the tick lets go - any of the methods which involve squeezing the tick's body can cause them to inject the contents of their stomach back into the dog, which is when infection can be transmitted.

Most ticks have whitish/grey bodies, but there have been some instances of brown ticks turning up (specifically in the south-east, I think) and there have been some problems in dogs that have been bitten by these brown ticks.

HOWS ABOUT THE "POLICE" WAY........JUST PLOUGH INTO THEM THEN TRAIL THEM OUT AND...BLOODY LET THEM GO AGAIN !! (w00t) (w00t)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used nail varnish remover when I didn't have any Frontline and that seemed to work as well.

I've used nail varnish remover when I didn't have any Frontline and that seemed to work as well.

I'm a big fan of the two green tick hooks :thumbsup: . Will look into the ADVANTIX stuff though because of course prevention is much better and certainly less time consuming than twisting them off one by one. My jack russell must keep walking into big nests of them in the wet grass because she gets COVERED with them :x . They are so tiny at first that they are hard to spot but you can see little bumps under her fur, luckily she is mostly white so can make them easier to spot. But she gets small white ones, small grey ones, big white ones & big grey ones all at the same time. Once when she had loads I counted them as I removed each one (and put them in a dish of boiling water) and there was...100!!!! :eek: Yup, actually a little over a hundred. It was awful, never seen anything like it.

Though she walks with the whippets who virtually never get them, I assumed that their fur is not so easy to grab onto or something? I don't know, but my terrier gets loads in tick season. She gets them all over her face, back, tail, toes, belly etc.

Ticks are disgusting little creatures but I'd choose ticks over fleas any day! My 3 cats got fleas a couple of years ago and in the end we had to rip up all the carpet in the house and get professionals in because they would not go. I got bitten on the face by one and it scarred me for months :( .

We got 25 ticks of Pete the other night :x :x :x , all sizes and 2 off his brother!! GROSS, now I am paranoid, and frisk them each time they come back for a walk.. :- "

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back