The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Today's Walk

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
Well done on getting your hard work and patience to pay off. I'm glad he came to no harm on his adventure and it;s great you were able to get him to stop like he did. Jimmy wouldn't have done that, so you can come here and train him ;)

Well done on getting your hard work and patience to pay off. I'm glad he came to no harm on his adventure and it;s great you were able to get him to stop like he did. Jimmy wouldn't have done that, so you can come here and train him ;)
Well, it many have been a fluky one off, so you might want to hold the me training Jimmy bit.:D As you say, at least he was safe.

Sorry if you're sick of reading about Eddi, he is a big challenge and it's therapeutic for me. We met 6 dogs on the walk, two sets of pairs, so four trigger points in all. I knew one set had gone right on the bank as Eddi was sniffing that way, I was going to take him left, but another dog was heading our way. I just carried on walking him. Said dog went down the bank to the poo bin, we were both watching him. He was outside his trigger zone but his trigger zone is closer it seems. I just kept saying 'let's go', something I've said from day one and it does work if he's not totally engaged with something. Then I saw the two dogs coming our way, so I just went down the bank and across the road. He could smell them and did look in their direction but couldn't see them. When we went back on the bank they were out of sight, he still knew they were there but no problems.
There is a 10 year old laptop yappy dog who lives on our route, sometimes we see it more often, not. A woman was talking to a bloke and we were having a nice time, then the little thing started yapping. I went down the bank out of sight with Eddi he did do a bark first, but just did his little yelp as I said 'let's go' and tossed him some 'find it treats'.

Off we went on our walk, the birds singing, Eddi hopping and running about. Then we headed off home. there is a concrete flood barrier, we were on the low side and I looked up and said yappy dog was walking with it's dad. :eek: I turned Eddi away so he couldn't see it. I don't know if he knew it was there but he saw the guy and I'm sure he could have smelled the dog. Anyway, they walked slightly above us, as I kept Eddi turned and talked to him and tickled his neck. Not much reaction, he did try to look the way they were going, and that's all. Off we went again, I put him on his Halti a bit later as he was pulling, unfortunately there are chicks and ducks behind one of the house - where the dogs are at the gate sometimes - and he often pulls to get a good stare at them. I took him off his Halti and we were back to our nice walk again. Then the guy with two dogs was coming towards us, now I know I have to manage Eddi but he's seen me struggle with him barking and he will not go down the bank, ever. Other dog walkers will turn the other way when they see us, but not him. Anyway, I took Eddi down the bank and over the road and I had to hold him between my ankles and talk to him and toss him treats. The guy took a few minutes to pass but Eddi only whimpered. I said 'look at me', which he rarely does in the house never mind when he's full blown distracted. For a nano second, not his head, but his eye swivelled towards me. The dogs passed, I went up the bank and he kept looking back towards them. He makes me laugh, I say 'let's go' and he comes but gives out a baby yelp as much to say, you're not fooling me, I know they are there. He did 3 baby yelps before we continued in happy dust all the way home.

That's awesome progress, Doggie1:) Remember that all these triggers will cause a build-up of stress and could result in him having a meltdown when spotting a relatively minor trigger towards the end of the walk. And also, although it's great that he controls himself when you ask him to, what you're really after isn't just more self-control in the face of encounters where he would otherwise kick off, but him not seeing any need to kick off in the first place.

That's awesome progress, Doggie1:) Remember that all these triggers will cause a build-up of stress and could result in him having a meltdown when spotting a relatively minor trigger towards the end of the walk. And also, although it's great that he controls himself when you ask him to, what you're really after isn't just more self-control in the face of encounters where he would otherwise kick off, but him not seeing any need to kick off in the first place.
Today, he wasn't ever 'beside himself', which is good for the hormones. He was straight back to normal each time. We are a long way off from your last sentence, I know that, but he would have kicked off big time in each of the scenarios I outlined up to a month or so ago.

Murphy is confined to lead only walks at the moment so trying to make things interesting but not too wild! but at least we got to see the Easter bunny!
DSCN3897.JPG

Poor little chap.

He wont miss his bits and to be honest I would have done this sooner. Theres no way I want him to breed and I know that all those male hormones can lead to trouble but OH being a bloke wouldnt have it.. The crown jewels are precious! It was only when Murphy started getting really macho and facing off to his best mate Elmo as well as bogging off after the ladies that OH finally agreed .So I get to be the bad guy and he gave me the stink eye all eveing on Friday but hes fine and coping far better with his lampshade than I could have hoped.
DSCN3852.JPG

He wont miss his bits and to be honest I would have done this sooner. Theres no way I want him to breed and I know that all those male hormones can lead to trouble but OH being a bloke wouldnt have it.. The crown jewels are precious! It was only when Murphy started getting really macho and facing off to his best mate Elmo as well as bogging off after the ladies that OH finally agreed .So I get to be the bad guy and he gave me the stink eye all eveing on Friday but hes fine and coping far better with his lampshade than I could have hoped.View attachment 111975406

Oh no the cone of shame!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Today's walk. Hasn't happened yet, he's been out for his toilets and it's talk to the paw until the torrential rain stops. (We did have snow forecast, so could have been worse).

Todays walk was along the foot/cycle path between our town and the neighbouring villages (nice and peaceful) But Murphy was being naughty because he is getting bored with all the on lead walks and wants to be off racing about again..

DSCN3913.JPG
DSCN3917.JPG

I feel sick to the core. The neighbour opposite was away at the weekend. She's just come to see me and asked if Eddi got out on Saturday. Well I knew something bad was coming. I didn't know she had 3 chickens, - well sadly, she now has two. I don't know what we should do with Eddi, his prey drive has been the biggest worry and now what we worried about has happened. I've offered to pay for the chicken, she said she doesn't want to be paid for it. She doesn't wasn't us to get rid of Eddi, but I don't think we can keep a dog that can do this. Getting out was a total accident, but it could happen again and it could be worse next time. I haven't told the OH yet, it was his mistake that Eddi got out. I just don't know what to do.
Sorry didn't know where to put this, i didn't want to start a new thread. I could cry, he's been making such good progress.

Last edited:
Oh @doggie1 - how sad and frustrating for you :( Does she know it was defiantly a dog attack? Can you be sure it was Eddi?

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back