The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

What Drives A Breed

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
This has become very them and us.

Looking from the point of view of someone who adores whippets but does not even own one I feel it is a shame that the love of the breed isn't enough to unite all involved.

I don't feel that any one aspect of "whippet owning" (be it racing, showing, coursing or pet keeping) is superior to another. Also I feel that because somebody hasn't kept whippets for 30 years or more it makes them less of a person. People still deserve respect be they newcomers, hardened campaigners or just plain enthusiasts. The breed belongs to them all.

As long as the dogs (the most important people) are happy and well cared for the rest must take a back seat.

Hobbies should not overshaddow plain good manners and decent behaviour.

I have been to a few champ shows as a spectator and found it hard to penetrate the cliques around the ring. A few people took time to speak but many couldn't be bothered. Please welcome spectators. They are only there because they love the dogs. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:
This has become very them and us.Looking from the point of view of someone who adores whippets but does not even own one I feel it is a shame that the love of the breed isn't enough to unite all involved.

I don't feel that any one aspect of "whippet owning" (be it racing, showing, coursing or pet keeping) is superior to another.  Also I feel that because somebody hasn't kept whippets for 30 years or more it makes them less of a person.  People still deserve respect be they newcomers, hardened campaigners or just plain enthusiasts. The breed belongs to them all.

As long as the dogs (the most important people) are happy and well cared for the rest must take a back seat.

I have been to a few champ shows as a spectator and found it hard to penetrate the cliques around the ring.  A few people took time to speak but many couldn't be bothered.  Please welcome spectators.  They are only there because they love the dogs. :cheers:

TRUE, TRUE. :thumbsup:

We value people coming up to us and asking about our dogs, as a breeder and show home you are only as good as the pet homes you can provide for the ones that you think just don't make the show team, but are lovely whippets ready for some one to love them in a pet home, IMO look after all vistors as they may just be looking for that whippet which you would like to home. :thumbsup:

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
This has become very them and us.Looking from the point of view of someone who adores whippets but does not even own one I feel it is a shame that the love of the breed isn't enough to unite all involved.

I don't feel that any one aspect of "whippet owning" (be it racing, showing, coursing or pet keeping) is superior to another.  Also I feel that because somebody hasn't kept whippets for 30 years or more it makes them less of a person.  People still deserve respect be they newcomers, hardened campaigners or just plain enthusiasts. The breed belongs to them all.

I have been to a few champ shows as a spectator and found it hard to penetrate the cliques around the ring.  A few people took time to speak but many couldn't be bothered.  Please welcome spectators.  They are only there because they love the dogs. :cheers:

I agree with your points of view except your last paragraph, which hasn't been my experience at all. Although I am sure there are all types of personalities in dog showing as in any other walk of life, I have found the people showing whippets to be extremely friendly and I have been attending the whippet rings for less than a year. A good crowd in my experience, and very helpful

Pauline - Sorry for getting off topic :oops:

maggie217 said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

I agree with your points of view except your last paragraph, which hasn't been my experience at all. Although I am sure there are all types of personalities in dog showing as in any other walk of life, I have found the people showing whippets to be extremely friendly and I have been attending the whippet rings for less than a year. A good crowd in my experience, and very helpful

Could I venture to suggest that you have been showing dogs and not just spectating? If this is so it could explain the difference in our "welcome" :clown:

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
maggie217 said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

Could I venture to suggest that you have been showing dogs and not just spectating? If this is so it could explain the difference in our "welcome" :clown:

I did find people friendly even when just spectating, before I started showing in Feb this year. But then, I do take it on myself to speak to people, ( but hopefully not to excess. :lol: )

Pauline

right this might be going off a bit i know but i will say this iagree with you rosie

it should be all about the enjoyment of our lovely breed and for the majority it is i have found certain individuals very negative and i have also found some fantastic people who are only too willing to chat and help me as long as they are not in the middle of showing and trying to organise their dogs i have had no problem in talking to people you do have to time it right though as it does get a bit hectic for some :lol:

there are 2 people on this board that i will name as they have taken the time to talk to me they are debs who makes the collars and maggie217

i first met debbie at the eawc show in march and she was only too happy to chat when she wasnt busy and give me a few pointers on how to do things also pauline(maggie217) also pm'd me the other day and i will make a point of going to see her at blackpool next week (are you sure you will be able to cope :- " :lol: )

what im trying to say is there are some fantastic people in the breed and may be some not so great you just have to approach people something i find hard but when ever i have i have mostly had a good response

have fun spectating its what its all about just enjoying the beautiful whippet and dont let the minority spoil your enjoyment of this truly lovely breed

if you are at balckpool next week pm me and i will pop over to meet you

sorry a bit off topic i know :- " :oops:

Juley said:
bertha said:
My dog has won Ch show firsts and has done his clearing trials to race, so come on Patsy there are dual purpose whippets, don't insult the working folk they love their dogs too.
K9 I thought was for all whippet people not just show folk.

Predudice is creeping in on this thread now so I am off.

Right, and its not insulting to suggest that show judges just " pick their friends". If that was the case then I hardly think around 200 people would enter a champ show at aroung £25 a time plus fuel costs. I'm all for living and letting live but lets not insult the show people either.

if that was the case i certainly wouldnt waste my money thats for sure if you think that in any class you can have between 20-30 entered and you only have 5 places its just luck on the day take my little bitch for example at midland counties last year i attended my first champ show being in a class of 27 never in my wildest dreams did i ever think i would get pulled out into the final line up ok so we didnt get placed it just wasnt our day but i could have my point is daisy is my first ever show whippet never ever did i think she would have won a thing but i have some lovely momentoes of some of our shows and im going to hold on to them i know she will never get a cc or probably ever get to crufts but if for one minute i thought judges picked their friends all the time i certainly wouldnt bother i really do think some people lose sight of what showing is all about its not about winning isnt it about the enjoyment we get from our dogs the lovely people we meet that share our love of this breed and the excitement you do get out of being placed im sure this sort of thing goes on in most things racing coursing etc but i have met some great and some not so great people all it takes is a bit of effort on your part sorry rant over :oops:

Interesting very interesting, I have had apet whippet for nearly 13 yrs she has never shown or worked, but she is all what I thought a whippet should be, small, gutsy, have a go little dog. I recently started showing my new whippet, LOVE her to bits, but finding it hard to break into the clique, yes people are busy, but a hello does not go amiss, neither does a smile back. An exeptional few have helped with helpful comments, as a quiet sort of person I shall continue to go to shows keep my head down and have fun with my dog. I will learn my way watching and listening. I have noticed some very large whippets, is it a trend to breed them bigger? I was always under the impression whippets are quite small and agile, I cant say any thing about coursing or racing as I have only been to one lure course meet ( is that what you call it). but at the end of the day a whippet is a working breed, what ever it is used for surely we should be all working together to maintain its originality before it disapears totally and becomes something totally different from the" poor mans greyhound!!" I hope that I havnt offended any one with my comments, and I hope I have put this across as best as I can. Nice piccys by the way of a working dog.

hi dunno i agree with you 100% my little girl is only diddy but i love her no matter what you are right a hello doesnt go amiss i think i rambled a bit so you misunderstood me people dont speak to me on the whole and if it wasnt for a few people nobody would but i have found some very good friends already through showing and as im a complete novice will continue to muddle my way through and make more (hopefully) there are bigots in everything we do its life i suppose i hope you continue to enjoy your little girl and continue to enjoy showing her kellyx :huggles:

I do NOT want to offend anybody but this thread is in the showing section, obviously there will be crossovers into other activites because as I have said before the Whippet is versitile.

A couple of more recent bitches that have sparkled in the ring are:

Dee Dee and Bardot which brings us almost bang up to date.

Yes Tracey , two bitches that did did the breed proud.

Nicky

I have been unsure as to whether to reply to this topic or not.

My sister and I have only been showing whippets for 2 years and in that time we have made a lot of very good friends. We were made to feel very welcome from day one and never felt excluded or that people were unfriendly. I think most people are more than happy to talk whippet to anyone at shows and are happy to offer advice to newcomers.

I am also a firm believer in that if a dog is good enough then this will be recognised regardless of who is at the end of the lead. And to be honest I get a little tired of people complaining that a judge is "facey"

We have been very lucky to have done well with our dogs and we certainly aren't anybody of importance within the breed. Our dogs have won on their own merit, so it goes to show that it can be done and is done on a regular basis.

rls22 said:
I have been unsure as to whether to reply to this topic or not.  My sister and I have only been showing whippets for 2 years and in that time we have made a lot of very good friends.  We were made to feel very welcome from day one and never felt excluded or that people were unfriendly.  I think most people are more than happy to talk whippet to anyone at shows and are happy to offer advice to newcomers. 

I am also a firm believer in that if a dog is good enough then this will be recognised regardless of who is at the end of the lead.  And to be honest I get a little tired of people complaining that a judge is "facey"We have been very lucky to have done well with our dogs and we certainly aren't anybody of importance within the breed.  Our dogs have won on their own merit, so it goes to show that it can be done and is done on a regular basis.

How many people do complain that a judge is "facey"? Is it just sour grapes :x or if a lot of people complain about the same judge :oops:

I have removed two posts from this thread which contain pictures of whippets working. Please remember that we have youngsters who read the showing thread and they might find these pictures distressing.

Jenny

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
rls22 said:
I have been unsure as to whether to reply to this topic or not.  My sister and I have only been showing whippets for 2 years and in that time we have made a lot of very good friends.  We were made to feel very welcome from day one and never felt excluded or that people were unfriendly.  I think most people are more than happy to talk whippet to anyone at shows and are happy to offer advice to newcomers. 

I am also a firm believer in that if a dog is good enough then this will be recognised regardless of who is at the end of the lead.  And to be honest I get a little tired of people complaining that a judge is "facey"We have been very lucky to have done well with our dogs and we certainly aren't anybody of importance within the breed.  Our dogs have won on their own merit, so it goes to show that it can be done and is done on a regular basis.

How many people do complain that a judge is "facey"? Is it just sour grapes :x or if a lot of people complain about the same judge :oops:

I absolutely agree with Rachel here. Some people make allsorts of comments when they don't do well. "He/she doesn't like brindles/fawns/yellow dots". (You might know that the person complaining has the other colour) "He/she always puts up So&So's dogs". (Well So&So's dogs may be of the type the judge prefers). "Oh well he has just used their stud dog" - might be then that the judge does admire that line.

Such comments are mostly sour grapes, and although on the rare occasion a judge might put up friends, those judges are usually known and not popular. I think it happens more in some breeds than others.

Pauline

ROSIE MEADOWS said:
maggie217 said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:

Sorrry to hear you didnt feel welcome around the ring, maybe your timing was not good ,eg they were about to go into the ring , or had just been unplaced :wacko: I try to be chatty and take an interest in new faces , :- " but sometimes we have other things on our minds ;)

maggie217 said:
ROSIE MEADOWS said:
rls22 said:

I absolutely agree with Rachel here. Some people make allsorts of comments when they don't do well. "He/she doesn't like brindles/fawns/yellow dots". (You might know that the person complaining has the other colour) "He/she always puts up So&So's dogs". (Well So&So's dogs may be of the type the judge prefers). "Oh well he has just used their stud dog" - might be then that the judge does admire that line.

Such comments are mostly sour grapes, and although on the rare occasion a judge might put up friends, those judges are usually known and not popular. I think it happens more in some breeds than others.

Pauline

Looks like not all show people are the friendly, happy, helpful type you would have us believe if what you are saying is true.

Of course people winning under said judge would not agree anyway, everybody thinks they have the best dog and rightly so.

It's a shame when a hobby becomes an obsession instead of an enjoyment.

i've involved my whippets in all sphere's, money permitting they show, race, lure course and catch the odd furry. I've met lovely people in all these fields and made great friends of some of them, i've also met some less than pleasant people who do nothing but bicker and moan about others.

Usually these whingers have failed in one sport because their dogs were not good enough or worse still have not even tried, so out of some sort of bitterness or need to feel self important feel compelled to pull others and their chosen hobby apart.

I'm not blind, i know my dogs are not world beaters but i take the wins with the losses and carry on because i love spending time with and competing my dogs, I do not sulk or feel badly done to.

no one sport is above another when considering the dedication put into the dogs, so IMO it's pure ignorance and intollerance to belittle another persons commitment to their dogs and their chosen sport.

love of our dogs and our own selfish desires for them to excell drives a breed, whether it's in a good direction is a different matter

bickering and separatism drives it apart :(

becka

quintessence said:
I have removed two posts from this thread which contain pictures of whippets working.  Please remember that we have youngsters who read the showing thread and they might find these pictures distressing.

Jenny

my appologies

:cheers:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back