The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Young Blue Whippet Bitch With Broken Leg

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
So sorry to read this ... poor little Mabel. :( Nina and Kris you both tried so hard to save her - hope you are ok :huggles:

Jill

x

I can't belive this........................So very,very sad :( :(

This is really gutting. What sort of pound is that?? :rant: :rant: The whole business sounds very dodgy. :angry:

RIP poor girl :(

Just looked at this thread. Can't believe what I have read, its unbelievable. Had tears reading this :'(

RIP little girl - you didn't deserve this ending but at least you are not in pain anymore :( Truly shocked to have read all this, so very sad.

You did all you could for her xxx

So very sad, :( but also atrocious that nothing was done for poor little Mabel as soon as she was found and obviously in such pain. Surely she should have been taken to a vet immediately. The older I get, the more I despair about some members of the human race and their treatment of animals. :wub: :wub: :( :(

Well done to Nina and Kris for their efforts to try to help her. :thumbsup:

RIP little Mabel. :huggles:

Poor little Mabel- I hope she is now at peace :(

I spoke to one of my rescue customers this morning- they collect dogs from the Irish pounds to bring over here and find homes for them- she already knew about this poor girl- they have been trying to get the pound to agree to release her to them for days.

They even agreed to sign a disclaimer to say there would be no legal action if she did bite someone- all to no avail... :(

That poor little girl- unfortunately there are hundreds more, of every breed, in a similar situation, every day :(

RIP Mabel

Liz and the Monellis

now that's just made what already felt like the saddest of situations even worse :(

They knew for a few days that someone was willing to take her on, and not just any someone - an experienced organised rescue someone, who would be able to sort out her physical trauma, then assess her temperament properly before deciding her future.

Knowing that all that was on offer, and a disclaimer in case something went wrong - it just feels like they wanted her dead. :(

only just caught up with this :'( if they wanted to have her pts i wish they'd done it straight away instead of prolonging her suffering poor poor girl :'(

RIP Mabel xx :huggles:

Hi everyone, I am from Ireland and regularly foster dogs out of the pound. I am a member of the petsireland website (sarah53) I tried so hard to help this girl. I offered to foster her and had arranged the funds to mend her leg. Unfortunatly there was nothing any of us could do for this girl. Dunboyne dogs tried their very best to get her out but the pound staff were adament that she was going nowhere because of her temperment. This poor girl was taken from the travellers, im sure she had every reason to feel she needed to protect herself from people. She probably had nothing but abuse her whole life. Its absolutely heartbreaking.

Just read all 5 page, and being pts just biting,,,my Colt was 5 months old when he broke his leg and he bit my arm all the way to the vet,,,very sore, but he was in a lot of pain :(

Im maddened with this puppy being pts just for biting :rant: :rant: ,,

Got bugger all good to say about the kennels she was at,,no bandage, or splint, no pain killers, GOD no wonder she was not licking the folks hands.

She's in no pain now, so RIP little puppy :huggles:

My Colt is a very happy puppy and he's never tried to bite anyone since the day of his accident :thumbsup:

FifeJillandIan said:
So sorry to read this ... poor little Mabel.  :(   Nina and Kris you both tried so hard to save her - hope you are ok  :huggles: Jill

x

I do agree Jill with your words, they (and others) did their very best. But surely this 'pound' itself caused an RSPCA case in their actions..................what is their management 'make up' to allow this to happen?

Perhaps there should be an available list pinned of the sort of places who will take poor mites like this, like the previously mentioned Much Tears that we can instantly go to for help. Although in this very sad case that help was available....

well done for trying..........

RIP little Mabel, you deserved so much better.

just a suggestion , but if these homes and offers were there for her then as already said surely there is a case of neglect and suffering due to no pain relief in the very least? and according to the new welfare laws this has een seveerly breached :rant: why doesnt someone bring this to the attention of the newspapers or one of our "sit on their arse" celebrities, (who like to do things to make themselves feel good)? by highlighting this sad story many more may be helped and mabels death may not have been in vain

R I P mabel , pain no more :huggles:

This is the first time i have been able to face coming back into this thread since last night.

What i have now read makes the whole situation even worse that the damn staff at the pound knew way before we did that there were offers of all sorts of help including finances for the vet treatment plus even a disclaimer yet they still just put this poor little love to sleep :angry:

I know like me this has also knocked the stuffing out of Kris & when i spoke to her briefly today we both felt dreadful for not sleeping a wink last night & keep picturing that little ones face looking so bewildered & lost. :(

We kept thinking if only we had known sooner about her plight & could have got to her quicker we could have saved her, instead we felt like we had let her down, but after reading what i have tonight i now wonder whether we could have done anything to help her with the attitude of the pound staff BUT at least we could have tried & given them hell over the phone & i could have sent friends to the pound to argue her cause.

I dont really understand the rules of this pound ie if it is their policy not to be able to administer treatment to a dog they take for 5 days, can they not hand it over then to the RSPCA instead altho to be honest from my dealings with the RSPCA they really aren't that interested, they wont even attend a RTA for a stray without a full blown row :rant:

All i know is we were way to late to help poor little Mabel BUT i hope that if any other whippets are taken in they will contact the people who have left details now.

The biggest shame of all was that there were so many concerned & caring folk ready to help & didnt get a chance.

"Sleep tight little Mabel, i only wish i could of had the chance to help you & show you the love & care you deserved, but i will never forget you ."

nina said:
This is the first time i have been able to face coming back into this thread since last night.
What i have now read makes the whole situation even worse that the damn staff at the pound knew way before we did that there were offers of all sorts of help including finances for the vet treatment plus even a disclaimer yet they still just put this poor little love to sleep  :angry:

I know like me this has also knocked the stuffing out of Kris & when i spoke to her briefly today we both felt dreadful for not sleeping a wink last night & keep picturing that little ones face looking so bewildered & lost.  :(

We kept thinking if only we had known sooner about her plight & could have got to her quicker we could have saved her, instead we felt like we had let her down, but after reading what i have tonight i now wonder whether we could have done anything to help her with the attitude of the pound staff BUT at least we could have tried & given them hell over the phone & i could have sent friends to the pound to argue her cause.

I dont really understand the rules of this pound ie if it is their policy not to be able to administer treatment to a dog they take for 5 days, can they not hand it over then to the RSPCA instead altho to be honest from my dealings with the RSPCA they really aren't that interested, they wont even attend a RTA for a stray without a full blown row  :rant:

All i know is we were way to late to help poor little Mabel BUT i hope that if any other whippets are taken in they will contact the people who have left details now.

The biggest shame of all was that there were so many concerned & caring folk ready to help & didnt get a chance. 

"Sleep tight little Mabel, i only wish i could of had the chance to help you & show you the love & care you deserved, but i will never forget you ."

Just read this post poor little Mabel :( What a very sad outcome

RIP Mabel & run free

kirsty said:
nina said:
What i have now read makes the whole situation even worse that the damn staff at the pound knew way before we did that there were offers of all sorts of help including finances for the vet treatment plus even a disclaimer yet they still just put this poor little love to sleep  :angry:

I know like me this has also knocked the stuffing out of Kris & when i spoke to her briefly today we both felt dreadful for not sleeping a wink last night & keep picturing that little ones face looking so bewildered & lost.  :(

I dont really understand the rules of this pound ie if it is their policy not to be able to administer treatment to a dog they take for 5 days, can they not hand it over then to the RSPCA instead altho to be honest from my dealings with the RSPCA they really aren't that interested, they wont even attend a RTA for a stray without a full blown row  :rant:

Just read this post poor little Mabel :( What a very sad outcome

RIP Mabel & run free

Sorry for the previous note.

This has been one of the saddest things I have read for some time, the other one was Storm.

The pound state they were waiting for the owner to turn up or not, but in a previous note it was stated that she was taken from the travellers, so who was coming.

What she had to endure doesn't bear thinking about, but we should to ensure this never happens again. People have been contacted and offers made for the future but did any body get any promises that they will change.

I look at my two and think there for the grace of etc Lez

I rang this place on behalf of the Northern Ireland Whippet Club, pleading with them not to put this little girl to sleep, and making them aware that the NIWC has a rescue fund and that we would have been wiiling to help, even in future cases of whippets in need. Unfortunately I got an answer machine and although I left the message and my contact details I have heard nothing. Do these places not realize that in the case of most pedigree breeds there is the chance of a breed rescue, either through the breed clubs or individuals who give help and assistance is cases such as this? All they had to do was contact the IKC, who in turn would have put them in touch with the Whippet Club of Ireland, and they in turn know the help that is available throughout the island.

A phone call could have sorted this out if we had all known sooner, but as someone has already said, maybe the attitude of this pound would have deterred whatever help was offered. I still await an answer from them.........

Janet Duke

Sec: NIWC

dukie said:
I rang this place on behalf of the Northern Ireland Whippet Club, pleading with them not to put this little girl to sleep, and making them aware that the NIWC has a rescue fund and that we would have been wiiling to help, even in future cases of whippets in need. Unfortunately I got an answer machine and although I left the message and my contact details I have heard nothing. Do these places not realize that in the case of most pedigree breeds there is the chance of a breed rescue, either through the breed clubs or individuals who give help and assistance is cases such as this? All they had to do was contact the IKC, who in turn would have put them in touch with the Whippet Club of Ireland, and they in turn know the help that is available throughout the island.
A phone call could have sorted this out if we had all known sooner, but as someone has already said, maybe the attitude of this pound would have deterred whatever help was offered. I still await an answer from them.........

Janet Duke

Sec: NIWC

I think by the sounds of it Janet this pound were adamant to put little Mabel to sleep for some reason :rant:

Words fail me that they have not been in touch as they must be a pretty dense lot not to take the offer of help when it is there. Lets hope they do at least acknowlege your phone message and hopefully get in touch if they get another whippet in the pound in the future :luck:

:( Oh my word, I don't think I have cried so much in a long time. The poor little baby.

To know that she was in so much pain but no one was doing anything about it... it makes me feel physically sick. And knowing that she never felt the warmth that a loving human hand brings :( I am absolutely devistated that this so called "rescue centre" didn't take up any of the offers of help... and instead let the little baby go.

If there is ever ANYTHING I can do to help any cause, then please please please contact me via email someone... emmajames66@msn.com

I check my mail reguarly throughout the day, but can only get on here a few times during the week.

RIP little angel, and know that there are humans down here who did love you enough, and tried there hardest for you. Run free baby, run free.

xXx

ive been talking to someone over there who knew about this dog and also knows a bit of whats going on over there.ive reprinted their pm but im keeping their name secret as i didnt want to cause any trouble for them.theyve been really helpful to me about info and so on about this.whats amazed and shocked me is the revelation that there are pounds over there who have a 100% kill rate.dogs never come out alive out of these pounds. :(

pounds are council run,they are NOT rescues and dont have to try to rehome dogs.

i know a lot of whippet lovers on here have been very upset by this thread and whats happened to little Mabel.im not a whippet owner but i was so moved by her plight i couldnt just sit back and ignore it. :(

if you feel the same as i do then please, please send a letter or an email to this council making your objections known.if anyone is going to any shows with whippet classes on then please get a petition up and get as many people to sign it as possible ill leave the wording to cleverer people than me, maybe someone on here can get that organised as i dont go to shows these days.also i know they desperately need blankets,towels dog coats,any old toys or treats that you have ,as long as theyre clean it doesnt matter how worn they are.im trying to get something organised to take these out there to these rescue groups so at least the dogs have something comfy to lie on.please give anything you can,old duvets,old towels whatever youve got will be gratefullly used and is desperately needed.

The first point I would make is that none of these pounds are obliged to work with any rescue groups nor are they obliged to try to rehome the dogs. The only reason most of the dogs get out of the pounds is through the work of volunteer groups like Dunboyne Dogs who have built up a relationship with the pound. For example, there are some pounds in Ireland where once a dog goes in, it just doesn't get out. No rescue groups are allowed in nor members of the public and the dogs do not get put up on a website or anywhere for rehoming. The dogs who end up in the pounds which allow rescue groups to come in are the 'lucky' ones but ultimately they are at the mercy of the pound.

Each pound is run on behalf of a certain local authority so there would be no blanket policy across the whole of Ireland, it is for the individual pound to decide. (this was in answer to a query i made about the policy to put to sleep a dog for showing aggression no matter what the reason)For example, a pitbull made it out of Dundalk pound last week despite the (often unjustified) reputation they have. The pound that this dog was in is Dunboyne and the rescue group who work with them are Dunboyne Dogs but they are not one and the same. Dunboyne Dogs is pretty much run by 2 women with full time jobs who get no funding from anyone, other than donations from the public.

The three pounds I am familiar with, Dundalk, Dunboyne and Ashton all have a rescue group or groups who try to get out as many dogs as possible and I know that Ashton often look for donations of bedding. They even provide dogs with coats to wear as some of them are in outside kennels. I am sure that all donations of bedding would be greatly accepted and the best thing to do would be to contact Dunboyne Dogs, Dundalk Dogs and Dogs in Distress (Ashton pound) on here and discuss it with them further.

The pound system here is a terrible one but as I mentioned above any dogs who end up in the three above are luckier than most and stand a greater chance of getting out. I can understand how frustrated and upset you feel and I feel it too. Reasons for the dogs getting pts are never expanded upon on this site and its my guess that the pound people aren't obliged to justify their reasons. As there is a constant stream of dogs coming in some become more vulnerable than others and despite the best efforts of the rescues they often get pts without warning.

If I was to make a complaint about this to anyone I would make it to Environmental Services, South Dublin County Council, Town Centre, Tallaght, Dublin 24 as the pound is run on their behalf.their email address is cccounterATsdublincoco.ie I don't want to burst your bubble but I'm not sure how far you will get and I assume if you get a response at all it will be along the lines that the dog was 'aggressive'. As a lurcher owner I get awfully worried when I see a lurcher/greyhound/whippet go up on the board here because I sometimes feel they are most vulnerable of all in the pound. They are often in a terrible physical state and have been dumped by or taken from travellers. They stand very little chance of being rehomed from the pound and I always think they could be the first to go down if space needs to be freed up.

I hope this helps and I would just like to mention again that this is a personal opinion only. There are a group called Anvil (Animals Need a Voice in Legislation) and they are an advocate group for animals. I am sure they will have some facts on their website regarding the pound situation in Ireland and 'Bunty' on here is one of the top people and may be able to answer some questions for you. www.anvilireland.ie

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back