The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

Young Blue Whippet Bitch With Broken Leg

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
My god, how awful its even worse than we originally thought :(

I'm sure if people were prepared to help we could organise blankets, coats, toys etc & maybe form a kind of relay team up to wherever they were going to be sent from to make things easier so that a sort of job lot all went together?

I'm sure folk could meet at shows & collect them & take them up to the next point & so on.

If anyone is prepared to donate anything or help moving any donations up to a pick up point that maybe Kris can organise, please let us know :thumbsup:

Just so this is a bit clearer, the email address again is cccounter@sdublincoco.ie

Will do an email tomorrow and will try to draw up some sort of Word document for any who wish to obtain signatures. I'll also have a word with John and see if he can possibly transport some items over when he comes over here for the Bend Bonanza.

Can't really comment about what's gone on as I found it too upsetting but I'll try and do whatever I can to help.

thanks for altering the email addy jac i just copied it down as it was sent to me. :thumbsup: she said not to go on about the legislation in a complaint to the council as this is something thats beyond their control as new animal welfare laws are desperately needed.this is what anvil is trying to do.she said to keep to the subject of Mabel and to complain of why when so many rescues and private individuals were willing to help her was this not taken up especially when a disclaimer was going to be signed that if she bit or was aggressive there would be no comeback on the council.also about towels and blankies this lady has told me theres a few rescue groups in the uk go there every few weeks to collect dogs to bring back to the uk to try to give them a chance of a home so they could probably get the items taken across if john wouldnt be able to do it.im waiting to find out which ferry terminal they go from as if its from liverpool i can take them there as its only half an hours drive.(or if youre in the car with jac driving 10 minutes!) (w00t)

If the pound in question does not care about dogs at all and do not give them chance even though there are offers to help, will they make proper use of the blankets and toys sent to them? Will the poor dogs get the warm blanket or the toy to play with?

Hope whoever takes the stuff to them will make sure that the dogs get it….

The Mabel’s story is horrifying, and I would never believe this kind of thing is happening in this part of World!

A legal action should be taken against them...if there is a petition, I will def sign it.

Firstly, thanks kris for your post, and for reproducing the PM you received.

It is hugely distressing, what's happening to those dogs. I am having a good hard think about how to word a letter to send via email, to that council contact you gave.

by the sounds of it new animal welfare laws are desperately overdue.

I can't think right now what to say. It's just so distressing thinking of that poor little bitch alone and in such pain. Damn right I'd bite if I had a broken limb that wasn't cared for, and a horrendous background life that could only be guessed at.

At least she's not suffering any more, thank goodness - but it grieves me that there are people who made themselves known to the pound, that they would help, and their help was refused (if I've understood it correctly, through my indignation and disbelief).

I just can't get my head around this bit - if they are determined that dogs will not leave the pound (under any circumstances, it seems) - then why not put her to sleep straight away? Why leave her to suffer for 5 days? Do the humane thing if not going to help her with veterinary care. And she's just the one we KNOW about. Heaven help others in similar situations in those pounds. I'll do whatever I can to help.

Poor dogs.

the reason they dont pts straight away is cos they have to keep a dog for 5 days when it comes in as a stray as i think its the law in case the dog is reclaimed by its owners.this is also why they will not treat any dog no matter the injuries as if the dog is reclaimed i suppose the owners might not pay the money back and also because it isnt their legal property till the 5 days are up.its the same reason that the rspca over here have to pay out of their own funds to kennel dogs that are the subject of a cruelty case until it comes to court as they dont own the dogs unless the owners sign over legal ownership to the rspca.as regards bedding the rescue groups there are funded by small donations and as said before in the pm the 2 ladies who do manage to get dogs out of the dunboyne pound are working full time and do this in their spare time and pay out of their own pockets to help these dogs and its to them that i want to direct some help as i think its unfair that they have to shoulder the burden themselves and mainly out of their own pockets.everyday running costs like towels and bedding,are a neccessary part of running a rescue and helping dogs.they also may be able to get the pound to put a blanket in the dogs beds if theres enough fuss kicked up about it.the other 2 rescues in that area also need help.i think you have to make sure people appreciate the difference between the rescue and the pound.the rescues are a privately run and funded operation often run by just a couple of volunterers who are trying to work with the pounds to get dogs out and into homes.(the pounds dont have to do this so cooperation is important cos if the rescues 'annoy' the pounds they can just shut the doors on them and not allow them to take any dog) their biggest problem is that theres so few homes.i read on the site that there seems to be a stigma about taking in a rescue dog as you can buy a pedigree pup from anywhere as theres so many people breeding dogs left right and centre,so why have a 'second' hand one?this is why a few dogs are brought over to the uk as they have a better chance of finding a home over here than there.

the pound is a local authority run place where strays are taken by the councils dog warden etc,they arent obliged to rehome dogs and a lot just put every dog down after its 5 days are up cos theres so many stray dogs coming in.they have the same problems with puppy farmers that we have but if anything its worse i think as a lot of the puppy famers there are breeding for the export market as well as the home market.because the animal welfare laws over there are so outdated dogs arent protected to the same extent as they are over here.their animal welfare laws are outdated,thats why anvil is trying to get them changed by lobbying for a change in legislation

Been thinking about this one overnight. Wouldn't the centre be liable to prosecution for not seeking veterinary attention of the dog? As pet owners we're all liable to prosecution from the RSPCA if we fail to take our dogs to a vet since they introduced their new legislation. I'm wondering if it's worth approaching the RSPCA about this? :unsure:

i think in order to prosecute you have to have the laws in place and like i say their DOMESTIC animal welfare laws are woefully inadequate.i think the 1910 laws have never been added to or updated.farm animals have legislation in place to protect them.not cats and dogs though.just been chatting to a lady on our local chat site and she said ireland doesnt have many laws protecting animals and that shes taken in a very badly abused yorkie that was tied up to a truck at a recent animal auction with a rope and she was in such a state that she bought her there and then cos she felt so sorry for her.she still getting vet treatment and is in a bad way. :( i dont think the rspca are in ireland?and even if they were they cant prosecute if theres no law to prosecute under

i cant believe that things like this still happen :rant:

with all the help and support offerd she still had to die due to bloody polotics and protocol , when will animals get the same treatment as all the immigrants we welcome into this country :rant:

i am always on hand to foster , help with anything i can if ever needed , lets hope we can rally round and stop this happening again :rant:

Last edited by a moderator:
just checked and there IS an spca organisation in ireland. :thumbsup:

This is disgusting :rant: Just read this post start to end and couldnt believe it when i got to the part where the poor girl had been PTS :( and not for lack of people wanting to help her!!!!! these people who work at the kennels cant be animal lovers!!! :rant: :rant: are they bloody stupid, do they really expect a scared and in agony dog of any age to be happy, waggy tail personality!!! but oh,no dont fix its injury and then assess the dog just put it to sleep!! what happened to innocent untill proven guilty?

dogs are not born agressive, this little girl was a born a clean slate, so if its people that have caused dogs to have problems why do dogs have to pay for our mistakes with their lifes?! :rant: they dont pre-mediate things like people do, they are just living in the moment .

I will try and help with anything i could :thumbsup: but unfortunatly couldnt foster :(

Well done Kris and Nina , and everyone else that did their best for this baby :huggles:

ok guys weve got some news of how we can help.i cant put much on here about the whys and wherefores as this is a delicate situation and as ive said before the pounds dont have to give dogs a chance to get a home with a rescue so if anyones got any queries can you please pm me as i cant put certain things on the board in case it gets back to the pounds and the rescue have their relationship with the pounds and the agreement to take dogs out revoked so please be patient and understanding.copy of pm from my friend on the boards there who has given me the following info.

The women who run it do not have any kennels of their own so they have to find foster homes and rescue spaces. They can only take a dog out if it has an offer of rescue and if they can't find fosters they have to board the dogs in kennels which they have to pay or. It all adds up and to add insult to injury they also have to pay a 'release fee' of 25 euro per dog to get them out.(this is to the council!so they have to pay to help them sort their problems out,bloody ridiculous!) :rant: For some reason this local authority charge it while most others don't. Its such an extra burden as they could use that money elsewhere to help the dogs. I guess some ways to help Dunboyne are to donate money or through contacts to try to organise rescue spaces. I don't know whether fostering the dogs in the UK would work. It might be an idea when members of your site have decided how they think they can help to contact Dunboyne Dogs (Martina) and offer assistance and see what ways she would benefit from help from the UK. I really do believe this organisation do tremendous work and are a very worthwhile cause to help.

now then.practical ways to help .we want to give them blankets and towels to help and theres a lady coming over here on the 15th of february who can take them back with her.shes going to be in peterborough cambridgeshire and liverpool on these dates.the dogs usually come into the uk via holyhead in wales soooooo.......if anyone lives in the peterborough area and can collect blankets or towels or indeed anything they think that would help these dogs such at toys treats old coats etc please hand them in.i can get them to liverpool so if anyone can collect them at any shows wouuld they please indicate on here so that people know which shows theyre at and where they can take stuff for it to be collected and then forwarded.this lady said to me i know its short notice and maybe its too late for people to be able to help but lets show her what a caring community of dog lovers we are on here and get the ball rolling.if anyone is going to any shows in the north of england and can collect and forward on to me let me know and ill come and get them.ill get dunboyne dogs email addy as well so if anyone would like to send cash donations to the dunboyne dogs charity they can

also jac can i rely on you to get a letter or email sorted for folk to copy and send to the council and especially id like for a point to be made that to charge the rescue 25 pounds out of much needed and desperate funds to get a dog out is downright disgusting especially when most other councils waive the fee. :rant:

right heres the paypal thing for dunboyne dogs,

http://jirdrescue.com/random/PayPal2.htm

and heres martinas phone number in ireland 0862228902

and josephine 0 162854972618128

well done Kris.

I've donated to them as I cant see how I can get bedding/towels to them (I dont go to shows) I expect she'll be over again tho so perhaps we can do this all again the next time?

yes of course Rae. :thumbsup: also if anyone has the phone numbers and contact details for other breed rescues could they please email them to Martina as although she has some more would be gratefully received.ill put her email addy on here soon, as im up to my eyeballs in pms and offers of help from various sites at the moment.im going to be away on business over the weekend so if i dont post its not that ive forgot or anything i just wont be home for a few days ill be back by wednesday at the latest.if anyone needs to contact Martina in the meantime her username on PETSIRELAND site is dunboyne dogs.

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/index.php

heres another email adress of a lady who is willing to collate breed rescue or any rescue organisations that want to be notified of a dog in the pounds there.she is willing to collate all this to free up time so that Martina can concentreate on the dogs rather than having to do all this too.

so if you know of any breed rescues that would be willing to help any dogs in the irish pounds please pm Jane and give her the contact details.thanks. :) oh and thanks Rae for the donation too it will be put to good use im sure :thumbsup:

jane.burkeATdublincity.ie

[SIZE=21pt]A HUGE WELL DONE & THANK YOU KRIS[/SIZE], you have done marvels & worked like a trojan :cheers: :cheers:

Its a shame its such short notice for Feb 15th & not many shows have strted up yet where people could bring stuff & pass on.

Maybe we can also get the next date from her when she is coming over.

More importantly still at least we can donate now as well & help that way.

Thanks for all your hard work & effort :huggles:

Been a bit delayed doing this but wanted to word it right. Basically the attached is a letter to South Dublin Environmental services asking them to ammend their policies following the circumstances that arose with this dog. If anybody feels strongly about this, could they kindly print off the letter, add their signature and forward it to the address provided.

I think Ireland's seriously overdue a revision of their animal welfare act but I hope that if we can persuade the councils to rethink their red tape that's currently preventing the rescues from intervening, it may make a small difference.

wild whippies said:
Been a bit delayed doing this but wanted to word it right. Basically the attached is a letter to South Dublin Environmental services asking them to ammend their policies following the circumstances that arose with this dog. If anybody feels strongly about this, could they kindly print off the letter, add their signature and forward it to the address provided.

I think Ireland's seriously overdue a revision of their animal welfare act but I hope that if we can persuade the councils to rethink their red tape that's currently preventing the rescues from intervening, it may make a small difference.

It doesn't work for me Jacs :(

When i try open it up its all gobbledy gook :eek:

please please please print it off and sign it.they are so desperate for help and who knows the council might listen if enough people sign this and bother to do something.the 25 euros release fee doesnt sound much but its making a big hole in rescue funds.please help these dogs. :(

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back