The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Please still vote but in all seriousness what do our American friends think? Would you prefer a system like ours that makes it harder to make a dog up with less emphasis and priority on group wins or your system?

Nicky

Having shown and judged under both systems, NO.

patsy said:
seaspot_run said:
BeeJay said:
Basically ALL racing bred whippets can be shown and ALL show bred whippets can be raced.  I
Untrue in the UK. I have just reread your rules for WCRA and it states that Whippets over 32 pounds may not race.

I think there are probably any number of showbred Whippets whose healthy weight is in excess of 32 pounds--particularly the males.

My 21" US/Aust/UK line showbred dog's healthy weight in good muscle tone is 34.5 pounds, and that is with every rib showing. His 20 1/2" brother who also has good bone and substance for the show ring and races very well over here cannot be gotten under 33#.

Neither would look huge in the UK ring.

Thank you Karen for that all my males would be too heavy to race as well.

No whippet is excluded from Non-ped Whippet racing, the irony being that this is where all your pedigree whippets evolved from. :teehee:

Its a NO to the Champions class from me too, I would prefer to have beaten ALL the dogs or bitches present NOT just the ones that were not made up. ( I'm not telling Ronnie either if a lot of people say yes!!) :- "

it's a NO from me too :thumbsup:

So if Ive got that right,.........thats 4 nays and Juley, faint heart and all that, we can always send you and Patsy together!!!!!!!!!!

You know I think that its really interesting that as tough as our system is people for the most part want it to stay as it is. Having shown under both Im in full agreement, so I guess that 5 nays!......Keep those votes coming!

Nicky

Ooops sorry Jok missed your vote so that is, let me see.........5nays. Has anyone got a clicker??

Nicky

And its NO from us (and I say with without fear of contraception :D )

dawn said:
And its NO from us (and I say with without fear of contraception :D )
(w00t)

No from me too, even though my vote probably doesn't count what with me not having a Champion :teehee:

I really think the current system is best.

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]It's a YES from me. I'm bored and I want to play another game :lol: [/SIZE]

I've got it....... How about we swap systems for a couple of seasons. Let's see how we British exhibitors cope bringing all the outfits in case of group inclusion. Oh and it will give us a chance to make up some our dogs which are lingering on a ticket or two!

Lets see what the US exhibitors spend their money on when advertising is no longer required, and let's stand by and watch if they get annoyed when one dog hogs all the tickets in a season.

I will be fascinated to see who cliques up together here to make majors, and who breaks them! Over here we can start getting in pro handlers. Hey I'm off to book Joe Buchanan right now. Thank the Lord my current show dog has complete eyerim pigmentation. I feel a good year coming on!

To any American readers I hope you enjoy the huge entries, and we will be enjoying the famous US hospitality tents! :) ...and the win photos, and racing our oversize males. What fun 8)

Handlers....Now there is a topic :wacko:

I have to say, as nervous and stressed as I get, I would always want to show my own dogs.

I'd love someone to honestly explain the benefits to me.

Also, it must make it so much harder for someone like me to show if handlers and respected long term breeders are in the ring. How do people feel about that in the countries that have lots of pro handers?

Thanks

TCx

So that's 8 nays and 1 yea and T.C your vote is as valid as the rest. Yes Cathie you are right the entire system is different to ours, its like comparing an apple to an orange. I know that I'm probably going to get a bit of flak when I say that in some cases ( and I don't necessarily mean Whippets )top dogs arent bred they are made. An awfull lot of money is spent on sending a dog to the top

nicky

UKUSA said:
So that's 8 nays and 1 yea and T.C your vote is as valid as the rest. Yes Cathie you are right the entire system is different to ours, its like comparing an apple to an orange. I know that I'm probably going to get a bit of flak when I say that in some cases ( and I don't necessarily mean Whippets )top dogs arent bred they are made. An awfull lot of money is spent on sending a dog to the top      nicky

I don't think you would get flack for your statement. I for one, would in some cases, wholeheartedly agree with you.

TCx

Last edited by a moderator:
dragonfly said:
[SIZE=14pt]It's a YES from me. I'm bored and I want to play another game :lol: [/SIZE]

I've got it....... How about we swap systems for a couple of seasons. Let's see how we British exhibitors cope bringing all the outfits in case of group inclusion. Oh and it will give us a chance to make up some our dogs which are lingering on a ticket or two!

Lets see what the US exhibitors spend their money on when advertising is no longer required, and let's stand by and watch if they get annoyed when one dog hogs all the tickets in a season.

I will be fascinated to see who cliques up together here to make majors, and who breaks them! Over here we can start getting in pro handlers. Hey I'm off to book Joe Buchanan right now. Thank the Lord my current show dog has complete eyerim pigmentation. I feel a good year coming on!

To any American readers I hope you enjoy the huge entries, and we will be enjoying the famous US hospitality tents! :) ...and the win photos, and racing our oversize males. What fun 8)

Are we just swapping systems or are we swapping standards as well. Just off to find my trainers, I'll need to get fit for all that running round the ring :thumbsup:

So that's 8 nays and 1 yea and T.C your vote is as valid as the rest. Yes Cathie you are right the entire system is different to ours, its like comparing an apple to an orange. I know that I'm probably going to get a bit of flak when I say that in some cases ( and I don't necessarily mean Whippets )top dogs arent bred they are made. An awfull lot of money is spent on sending a dog to the top

nicky

Forgot to say I'm a No. I would also be prepared to go and sit on The Kennel Club steps with a Banner saying so. (Do they have steps at The Kennel Club?)

Jenny

I would like to nominate Cathie to face Ronnie, :lol: if we have to run round the ring in the hot sun can we have an oxygen supply at every corner? (w00t)

So thats 9 nays and Jenny I admire your spirit!!!

Yes Juley I think you re right we will send Cathie. After last summers summer showing in California looks pretty enticing.

Nicky

seaspot_run said:
BeeJay said:
Basically ALL racing bred whippets can be shown and ALL show bred whippets can be raced.  I
Untrue in the UK. I have just reread your rules for WCRA and it states that Whippets over 32 pounds may not race.

I think there are probably any number of showbred Whippets whose healthy weight is in excess of 32 pounds--particularly the males.

My 21" US/Aust/UK line showbred dog's healthy weight in good muscle tone is 34.5 pounds, and that is with every rib showing. His 20 1/2" brother who also has good bone and substance for the show ring and races very well over here cannot be gotten under 33#.

Neither would look huge in the UK ring.

A very good point. :) In racing there is also a top height 19" for bitches and 20" for males.

However there is an unaffliated peddie club and also non peddie clubs where KC reg whippets can race at. They run to their own rules which maybe different to WCRA ones.

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back