The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

We need more puppy pictures...

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
:D Yep I like the Blue pup best too, Malin.

WOW ! Minna. Vito is wonderful........... can't wait to see him as an adult. :D

Much better , thanks . :)) What a super pup

Malin, blue bitch is looking beautiful :wub:

And well Minnas Vito!! I cannot believe how quick they are all growing up. A lot of us will be in the ring at about the same time, god willing.

Do you have height limits Malin/Minna, and do you worry about how big/small your puppy might be?

Karen said:
Do you have height limits Malin/Minna, and do you worry about how big/small your puppy might be?
Yes, we have height limits (dogs 47-51cm and bitches 44-47cm), but many dogs are starting to be lot bigger than what the standard says. In males 52-53cm is almost more common than the smaller ones and we are starting to see more big bitches aswell.

Vito's mother is oversized, actually she is over 3 cm taller than the standard, but she still isn't the biggest girl in the ring... And no judge has ever sed anything about her hight, normally they are just saying that she is too long. :teehee: Vito's father is around 51 cm tall, so he is Ok. I'm hoping that Vito isn't going to be a giant, but he is already a big boy... I know that I can show him even if he ends up being too tall, and I can always hope that his other qualities will make the judge forget his hight. :p

And there are always judges who seems to see only the size, so if your whippet is too small it's easy to make him/her a champion under those judges, no matter how ugly your dog is, because these judges only care about the size... :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nightvision said:
I'm hoping that Vito isn't going to be a giant, but he is already a big boy...
How tall is Vito and how much does he weigh? How old in weeks is he now?

I'll make an educated guess for Sweden and say - dogs range between 19.3" and 22.1" and bitches between 18.2" and 21" in the show ring. My guess is that most dogs will be around 20.9" and bitches around 19.7". We have a height range (as given by Minna) approximately, dogs: 18.51" - 20.01", bitches: 17.32" - 18.51". When I started showing my 18.7" bitch was among the taller ones and a few years later she was small.

If I'm judging o:) I'll place on movement from the side and coming and going. Dogs looking masculine and bitches feminine is also very important. Height (or colour ;) ) does not enter my mind.

BUT if I'm looking for new breeding material I'll measure first and only consider it further if it is acceptable to me. And I CERTAINLY do worry about the size of my puppies when they grow!!! My ideal dog size is 19.29" and bitch 18.11" - I have some IMO nice whippys at home that are not shown much because they are about average.

malin said:
How tall is Vito and how much does he weigh? How old in weeks is he now?
He is now 13 weeks old, I haven't measured him in a while, but he weights probably 9kg. He is still fat, so it explains a little, but he also got strong bones. I hope that he is just growing fast. :)) His mother Nimda was slow grower, long time I tought she is going to be ok in size, but she just kept on growing...

I know that some of you are thinking why I mated Nimda. Nimda has the body and shape what I love, she moves nicely and she has the most happy character. Most of her brothers and sisters are small. I own also her little sister "Meggie", who is now 7 months old, she is now around 45-46 cm (that is 17.73- 18.12) tall and she isn't growing anymore.

And ofcourse I worry about the size of my puppies, especially the ones who are owned by others. I'm not so worried about Vito, because he is mine and I know that I love him nomatter what. But because you really can't know how tall your puppy is going to grow you just have to wait and see. There is no point thinking about it too much, worrying is not helping, they are going to grow as tall as they want. :)) :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats a nice relaxed attitude about height, I think in Germany you are not allowed to breed from Whippets that are too big which I think is a little harsh.

Nightvision said:
Here is my Vito, now 3 months old:
vito210604.jpg
I want him!!! He is soooooooooooooooooo [SIZE=21pt]SCRUMMY!!![/SIZE]

Wow . Oskar really has come on :wub:

Sigh - Oskar again... He is a huge pup @ 45 cm / 11+ kgs (actually bigger and heavier than both his maternal aunts) AND the wrong colour. His sisters :wub: :wub: :wub: now THAT is something :D

'Bobo' also known as bitch 1

IMGP0104b_bobo_402.jpg

Malin . 45 cms !! what is that in `english ` please :wub: and why the wrong colour . I think his colour is great . :))

Karen said:
Hi!

As both Finland and Sweden are FCI countries we both use the English standard. So the size limits are just like in the UK.

Henrik Härling

JAX said:
Malin .  45 cms !!  what is that in `english ` please
that is 17.73" :p

My Vito is now about 41 cm (that is 16.15") tall, and he is only 3,5 months old... :blink: :eek: :- " You should see his paws, he looks like a bear. :p (w00t) He is going to be a giant, but he is still my baby. :p :wub:

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back