The Most Dog Friendly Community Online
Join Dog Forum to Discuss Breeds, Training, Food and More

British And American Whippets

Join our free community today.

Connect with other like-minded dog lovers!

Login or Register
*Mark* said:
larruu said:
*Mark* said:
larruu said:
T Hoare said:
larruu said:
WIGGLEY said:
sorry i havent posted before lack of computer (w00t) what starts as a valid point from nicky about american and english show dogs now seems to have become an show verses racing debate yet again -_-   also to the person who put about health problems in show dogs i have one thing to say BALLS OR LACK OF THEM in both spheres but some racing folk continue to breed from monorchids, we could not show our stud dogs without so i think you need to address your own probs before you continue to slate our show breds :rant:
Whilst it is obvious that a lack of testicles precludes a whippet from the show ring

it does not preclude them from racing/coursing. Furthermore although monorchid/cryptorchid animals cannot be shown, are you saying that stud dogs that sire monorchid/cryptorchids are withdrawn from breeding programmes and do you go even further and say that bitches from litters containing monorchid/cryptorchid males are not bred from either ???

Not if they have been castrated for MEDICAL reasons AND have KC approval

Interesting - Have you ever known a castrated dog placed ? and although interesting your reply doesn't actually comment on my point re breeding

No a castrated dog wouldn't be placed as a judge should also be taking into consideration the ability of the dog to be able to reproduce. i.e. would bitch make a good brood bitch or a dog make a good stud. This has nothing to do with its ability to work.

Showing is not all about working ability it also about been able to reproduce the quality and continue the line.

Bit of an uneven playing field then - how many judges would know if a bitch was spayed unless they were told by the exhibitor

Thats life!! you wouldn't know. You can only Judge what you have in front of you. You would not also know if a bitch was infertile or if a dog was.

Can't argue against that pragmatic attitude. That is indeed life!

Would you also agree however that certain show lines produce a higher incidence of monorchid / cryptorchid dogs and that this should somehow be documented in order that wouldbe breeders can avoid these lines and thus go some way to eradicating the problem .For if it is a prime requisite for a show dog to have fully descended testicles in order to be able to reproduce quality stock then shouldn't this be high on the list of breeders requirements.By the same token it is not a prime requirement for racing type breeder to have sires with fully descended testicles as they are breeding for diffirent qualities. There is of course the health issue but that would apply equally to all breeders. Thus if racing breeders are wrong to breed from unentire dogs then show breeders are equally culpable if they use suspect lines

Seraphina said:
Some breeds have fared not particularly well by the breeders guessing what makes them suitable for particular task;
Rossettes to ruin

Every breeder should read this  :)   , even that Whippets are not in any immediate danger of becoming so exaggerated.  But all exaggerations happen step by step.

8) 8) 8)

what is all this nonsense about monorchids on a thread that is supposed to be about English and American whippets keep to the point and dont digress.

if you want to carry on discussing this topic you should start another thread as you are spoiling the enjoyment of this one.

I asked yesterday about the cost of entering shows in USA and many thanks for your replies. I know I would have problems with seriously campaigning a dog in the UK because of cost. I had a look at entering a long distance show and the cost of entries, petrol and accommodation, just for me and my dog, was almost as much as a week in Spain. I do appreciate that the South Coast is not a good place to start from if you want to show in Scotland, but cost is certainly a huge factor in deciding which shows to enter.

Jenny

Well said Axel. When this post was started it was about U.K/U.S.A Whippets.There have been a few interesting diversions but some have bordered on the obsessive almost to the point where Ive wanted to poke my eyes out in frustration! If anyone came on this board thinking about buying a Whippet they would probably think twice as the way some people on here would have it our beautiful breed is riddled with problems or if not that,well on its way to them. It is truly amazing that in this country that with ALL these problems Whippets do so well in the Hound Group at shows! Oh but I forgot the Hound group is Full of dogs that could not do the job for which they were intended!

Ithink it would be wonderful if the top ten Whippets from both countries could be presented in a ring together not to compete just to be observed and yes Patsy that Whippetzine is fab.

Nicky

Good god Nicky that would be wonderful, but the Americans would have to come over here, there wealthy backers could pay for them. We are all so poor, but what a sight. Maybe someone clever could do it with pictures.

patsy said:
Good god Nicky that would be wonderful, but the Americans would have to come over  here, there wealthy backers could pay for them. We are all so poor, but what a sight. Maybe someone clever could do it with pictures.
Now that is a fantastic idea, is there anyone out there able to do this?

It would also bring this thread back on topic, admit I did get a little side tracked too 'cos I felt some comments were a little unfortunate but can we now get back to the subject in hand.

Pictures anyone? :thumbsup:

dawn said:
petrezselyem said:
Seraphina said:
Some breeds have fared not particularly well by the breeders guessing what makes them suitable for particular task;
Rossettes to ruin

Every breeder should read this  :)   , even that Whippets are not in any immediate danger of becoming so exaggerated.  But all exaggerations happen step by step.

8) 8) 8)

Hi Lida

Do you mean this ?

Terrierman - Rosettes to Ruin

Thanks for that, I wonder why my link did not work :b

axel said:
what is all this nonsense about monorchids on a thread that is supposed to be about English and American whippets keep to the point and dont digress.      if you want to carry on discussing this topic you should start another thread as you are spoiling the enjoyment of this one.

Yes I agree too.

UKUSA said:
Well said Axel. When this post was started it was about U.K/U.S.A Whippets.There have been a few interesting diversions but some have bordered on the obsessive almost to the point where Ive wanted to poke my eyes out in frustration! If anyone came on this board thinking about buying a Whippet they would probably think twice as the way some people on here would have it our beautiful breed is riddled with problems or if not that,well on its way to them.
You are clearly somewhat out of touch then. There are a number of lines, spread across all whippet types, that carry genetic health problems (autoimmune conditions, serious heart murmurs, cryptorchidism to name a few) and yes, anyone thinking of buying a whippet puppy - for whatever purpose - would do well to be aware of them, and ask some searching questions of breeders about the incidence of any of these problems in their line before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
anniewhippet said:
patsy said:
Good god Nicky that would be wonderful, but the Americans would have to come over  here, there wealthy backers could pay for them. We are all so poor, but what a sight. Maybe someone clever could do it with pictures.
Now that is a fantastic idea, is there anyone out there able to do this?

It would also bring this thread back on topic, admit I did get a little side tracked too 'cos I felt some comments were a little unfortunate but can we now get back to the subject in hand.

Pictures anyone? :thumbsup:

Pictures would be fab :thumbsup:

TCx

fewterer said:
UKUSA said:
Well said Axel. When this post was started it was about U.K/U.S.A Whippets.There have been a few interesting diversions but some have bordered on the obsessive almost to the point where Ive wanted to poke my eyes out in frustration! If anyone came on this board thinking about buying a Whippet they would probably think twice as the way some people on here would have it our beautiful breed is riddled with problems or if not that,well on its way to them.
You are clearly somewhat out of touch then. There are a number of lines, spread across all whippet types, that carry genetic health problems (autoimmune conditions, serious heart murmurs, cryptorchidism to name a few) and yes, anyone thinking of buying a whippet puppy - for whatever purpose - would do well to be aware of them, and ask some searching questions of breeders about the incidence of any of these problems in their line before buying.

Well fewterer, thank-you for your insulting comment.No Im not out of touch as you so quaintly put it. I am well aware of the health problems in Whippets but I dont believe that the breed is going to hell in a hand basket.I think that the point that Axel and I were trying to make was that this thread was about U.K/ U.S.A Whippets and that if anyone wanted to discuss health issues start another thread. To be honest I am now getting rather fed up with this constant battering and innuendo from people who are not prepared to put their money where their mouths are and tellus what they know. Instead they would rather take a large brush and tar all of us with it.There are MANY of us who do the very best we can, the fact that our puppy buyers return for another puppy surely is evidence of that. No fewterer I am not of touch. 30 years plus in this breed has seen to that so dont you dare accuse of that.So that is it for me, you go ahead and continue. because I am fed up .and I am going to leave you to it. What started as fun is no longer.

Interesting - Have you ever known a castrated dog placed ? and although interesting your reply doesn't actually comment on my point re breeding

No a castrated dog wouldn't be placed as a judge should also be taking into consideration the ability of the dog to be able to reproduce. i.e. would bitch make a good brood bitch or a dog make a good stud. This has nothing to do with its ability to work.

Showing is not all about working ability it also about been able to reproduce the quality and continue the line.

My old dog was castrated 2 years ago for medical reasons. He had done reasonably well in the ring beforehand, and had sired several litters. I showed my boy 4 times after he was castrated, mainly because he loves showing and coming out with me. Admittedly, he was shown in Veteran at Breed Club open shows (I wouldn't have paid Championship Show entries for a castrated dog!). I was pleasantly surprised that he was placed on each occasion, and he was never placed last. Each of the 4 judges said to me that they had penalised him because of his lack of certain parts, but that his merits had still earned him a place.

Obviously a castrated dog is never going to do top winning - but I found those comments very interesting ...

The reason that particular dog doesn't come out now to get his sausage in Veteran is because the cancer has come back, and he's now a very lumpy-bumpy boy. :(

UKUSA said:
fewterer said:
UKUSA said:

Well fewterer, thank-you for your insulting comment.No Im not out of touch as you so quaintly put it. I am well aware of the health problems in Whippets but I dont believe that the breed is going to hell in a hand basket.I think that the point that Axel and I were trying to make was that this thread was about U.K/ U.S.A Whippets and that if anyone wanted to discuss health issues start another thread. To be honest I am now getting rather fed up with this constant battering and innuendo from people who are not prepared to put their money where their mouths are and tellus what they know. Instead they would rather take a large brush and tar all of us with it.There are MANY of us who do the very best we can, the fact that our puppy buyers return for another puppy surely is evidence of that. No fewterer I am not of touch. 30 years plus in this breed has seen to that so dont you dare accuse of that.So that is it for me, you go ahead and continue. because I am fed up .and I am going to leave you to it. What started as fun is no longer.

I do think if people have other 'issues' they should start another thread as by doing that the topic in hand can be discussed in full without distractions.

So please could we be sensible and continue with the topic as headed - British & American Whippets, which has been most interesting in all aspects so far.

And I still think that should someone out there have good skills perhaps they could put their heads together with someone else & produce a photo gallery of the Whippets from the two sides of the water?

UKUSA said:
fewterer said:
UKUSA said:

Now look what is happening to a very enjoyable thread, yet somebody else comes in that we have not got a clue who they are and yet more slagging of our very lovely breed that has been my life for over forty years. If there have been problems in any dedicated breeders lines I am sure that they have dealt with them. Most of the whippet breeders I count as very dear and loyal friends and I know that if they have had problems it would have been well discussed. In all livestock breeding things don't always run smoothly but as a whole in pedigree dogs breeders have been honest and it has cost them a lot of money to get their breed back on track and it has taken a lot of dedication.

Now Fewterer I have now got to persuade Nicky to come back and join us on a thread that I know she was enjoying so much. People like you spoil the breed more than the deadly deceases they seem to be carrying.

patsy said:
UKUSA said:
fewterer said:
UKUSA said:

Now look what is happening to a very enjoyable thread, yet somebody else comes in that we have not got a clue who they are and yet more slagging of our very lovely breed that has been my life for over forty years. If there have been problems in any dedicated breeders lines I am sure that they have dealt with them. Most of the whippet breeders I count as very dear and loyal friends and I know that if they have had problems it would have been well discussed. In all livestock breeding things don't always run smoothly but as a whole in pedigree dogs breeders have been honest and it has cost them a lot of money to get their breed back on track and it has taken a lot of dedication.

Now Fewterer I have now got to persuade Nicky to come back and join us on a thread that I know she was enjoying so much. People like you spoil the breed more than the deadly deceases they seem to be carrying.

How very right you are Patsy. I too was enjoying this thread very much. As I know many of us have lots of quite elderly Whippets eating us out of house and home they can't be carrying too many dreadful diseases!!

I would like to know if there are more all rounders that judge in the USA or more Whippet specialists that judge just the one breed?

Well its a shame that another great thread has been hijacked and people feel that they have to get of topic and bring up old topics to kill the moment. :rant:

A HUGE THANK YOU :thumbsup: Nicky o:) what a great thread, so many of use have gained some very handy info from whippet people all over the world, please stay around because your input is great :cheers:

Come on Nicky I don't grovel well :b (w00t)

Welcome to Dog Forum!

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things canine. Whether you're a seasoned owner or new to the world of dogs, our forum is your go-to hub for sharing stories, seeking advice, and connecting with fellow dog lovers. From training tips to health concerns, we cover it all. Register now and unleash the full potential of your dog-loving experience!

Login or Register
Back